FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Anzenix
I got these pitcher plants at a reptile expo last weekend. The ones on the left and towards the back were given to me for free (guy told me they were starting to dry out but they should still come back if I take care of them). The one in the front however (the odd one out lol), I did pay for it but as you can see most are falling over. I'm still reading through stuff but in the meantime, what does it mean?
Attachments:
PitcherDown.jpg
PitcherDown.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 965 times
By Intheswamp
And, you might want to stick a bamboo stake in the pot to tie them to for a quick fix.
By Anzenix
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:01 am I'm no expert (a lot of mumbled "yes's" are heard in the background :mrgreen: ) but a quick search pulls this thread up... sarracenia-pitchers-falling-over-t47816.html
Ahh, good ol' search, I should've thought of that first :lol: Thanks, I'll go over it and probably do the stake thing.
Intheswamp, wcrosman liked this
By steve booth
All tall pitchers when located outside, until they form a large clump, will need protection against the wind, and as Inteswamp rightly says the easiest way to do it, especially in pots, is with a cane and some wire/string. Wire is better so you can make a loop to catch future pitchers, rather than tying single pitchers to it.
Nice looking plants by the way, Minor okefenokee by the look, a couple of leuco hybrids, and a red tube of some sort, they will make a nice display next year, or get a big pot and make a bog.

Cheers
Steve
By Anzenix
steve booth wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:37 pm All tall pitchers when located outside, until they form a large clump, will need protection against the wind, and as Inteswamp rightly says the easiest way to do it, especially in pots, is with a cane and some wire/string. Wire is better so you can make a loop to catch future pitchers, rather than tying single pitchers to it.
Nice looking plants by the way, Minor okefenokee by the look, a couple of leuco hybrids, and a red tube of some sort, they will make a nice display next year, or get a big pot and make a bog.

Cheers
Steve
Yeah I got some wire around so I'll use that, thank you. Actually, I was thinking of making a bog so its on my to-do list. I'll be happy if they just survive though.. I appreciate the advice!
By steve booth
They will survive OK, they are a lot tougher than some believe. You will get a nice display from them next year.

All the best
Steve
By Anzenix
steve booth wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:20 am They will survive OK, they are a lot tougher than some believe. You will get a nice display from them next year.

All the best
Steve
I sure hope so! I look forward to it. I'm already planning out a bog.. and with some seeds I'm getting, I'm hoping for some fun times in the next couple months/years.
By steve booth
Just remember, whatever bog size you decide on, it simply won't be big enough, I've been building them for forty years and more and absolutely love it.
Good luck
Steve
Intheswamp liked this
By Anzenix
Man, its always impressive to see these! How do you even keep all them fed? :lol: maybe one day I can get something close to a fraction of this. I wish I had started sooner.. or rather kept it going. I have some many other projects that I didn't have time but now I do and a great time too. I can start setting up some seeds up as well!
By Intheswamp
That’s nice. Real nice.
steve booth wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:45 am Just remember, whatever bog size you decide on, it simply won't be big enough, I've been building them for forty years and more and absolutely love it.
Good luck
Steve

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Intermedia

I may have made a mistake, but I did something. S[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!