FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Fuggle
Hi,
I am about to re-pot my Sarracenia, as it has long outgrown its original pot and needs a better soil mix. I have purchased some long-fibre sphagnum moss live, a bag of perlite and a bag of Sarracenia compost.
My question is this; what ratio do I mix the compost and perlite and how do I go about adding the moss? I am told that the moss goes on the bottom of the pot, with the compost and perlite mix on top of the moss. Is this correct?
20231015_141547.jpg
20231015_141547.jpg (7.54 MiB) Viewed 597 times
By ChefDean
First, what is in the clear bag? And does the sphagnum moss have anything other than moss?
I ask because, although Sarracenia have been known to be more forgiving than other carny plants, they're still sensitive to nutrients in their media. The word compost has different meanings in different places. In some places it simply means any normally available growing media or blend. But in others it means a media rich in organic matter, nutrients, and minerals. If either have anything other than sphagnum moss, peat, and perlite, it may not be the best choice.
Fuggle liked this
By MikeB
Does the blue pot have drain holes, or is it a planter with a water reserve? That translucent, ventilated disk leads me to believe it's the latter. I'm not fond of growing Sarracenia in non-draining pots. An anaerobic zone forms in the bottom-half of the pot, and the plant's roots refuse to grow there. With drainage, water flows through the pot and pulls oxygen with it. I would drill 4 decent-size drain holes in the pot and put it in a reasonably deep saucer or bowl.
Fuggle liked this
By steve booth
Hi Fuggle

In answer to your question, some do indeed place Sphagnum moss in the base (altough this is not usually necessary) then the peat/perlite mix in about 50/50 propr=ortions or whatever works for you on top, and sometimes then top dress that with more Shagnum.
I grow a number of Sarracenia in pure live Sphagnum and that works very well too, especially with cuttings you have broken off with no roots or sick plants.

Cheers
Steve
Panman, Fuggle liked this
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!