FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bombsboy
what is a good medium to sow seed? can i do it in 50:50 peat perlite? how fast do they germinate? how long untill it is a adult? what size is it at an adult stage? how many years to flowering is it?

soooooo many questions~ :lol:
By kittyklaws
well, what species are you planting?
By kittyklaws
ahhh, don't worry about it! :D Capensis is fairly easy to germinate, just sprinkle over pot of peat and perlite. Good luck! Probably takes 2-3 years to reach adult size, could flower then or sometimes sooner.
By Veronis
bombsboy wrote:what is a good medium to sow seed?
Long-fibered sphagnum (dead) is really good but keep it tight so they don't fall down too far, or you could use a peat/perlite or peat/sand mix. Frankly, capensis seed would probably germinate on a wet shoe. ;)
bombsboy wrote:can i do it in 50:50 peat perlite? how fast do they germinate?
Took mine about 2-3 weeks to germinate under strong fluorescents. Use either a ziploc bag or cover the top of the pot with saran wrap and a rubber band (no holes) to keep the humidity very high (you should have condensation = 100% relative humidity is ideal); it'll help with more successful and faster germination. Remove the bag or saran wrap slowly (poke holes, then more holes a week later, etc.) after they germinate and start growing tiny dewy leaves.
bombsboy wrote:how long untill it is a adult?
2 years I think, give or take.
bombsboy wrote:what size is it at an adult stage?
Plants will span about 5 inches across at maturity, and individual leaves are around 4-8 inches long, give or take, depending on the variety.
bombsboy wrote:how many years to flowering is it?
If fed (about every two weeks), they can flower in as little as a year. If not fed, probably 1.5 to 2 years like kittyklaws said.

Check out this article about drosera feeding: http://www.growsundews.com/feeding_sundews.html
Veronis liked this

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!