FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By smolrat61
I went to a carnivorous plant exhibit this weekend, and one presenter who was giving a talk about nepenthes pitchers said to give mycorrhizae (he uses Great White) to any CP, and that he did this for decades. I did some basic research out of curiosity but I couldn’t find too much regarding this regarding carnivorous.

On some of the houseplant groups/YouTube videos though it mentioned that if stored improperly at any point it would kill the mycorrhizae, and that the effectiveness varies based on the mycorrhizae associations already in the soils of the plant. However I also saw some videos with growth comparisons and they were pretty neat, and apparently they can help acidify the soil and repel fungal competition (aka leave less space for the ‘bad’ fungi).

Thoughts?
By Panman
Yowza, that's pricey. $45 for 4 ounces. I may try that next summer and see if it helps with rhizome rot on my sarrs. I lost 4 plants this summer to rot.
smolrat61 liked this
By alecStewart1
Panman wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:43 pm Yowza, that's pricey. $45 for 4 ounces. I may try that next summer and see if it helps with rhizome rot on my sarrs. I lost 4 plants this summer to rot.
Yea it's 1 teaspoon per 2 gallons or 7.5 litres of water. There's roughly 23 teaspoons in 4 ounces, so 46 gallons or 172.5 litres worth of water would have to be used in full before you run out. So since you probably have a larger collection, Panman, 46 gallons may not be that much to you.
By Huntsmanshorn
I hear about this kind of stuff all the time, and usually it shows rather dubious results. Just sayin.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!