FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ShibbyFox
Ok! I've chopped some dried sphagnum moss, did a 50/50 with sphagnum peat moss, ran half a giant jug of distilled water through the mixture without reusing, and ziplocked it. Am I missing any step to "Sundew ICU"?
Attachments:
IMG_20230914_224137_957.jpg
IMG_20230914_224137_957.jpg (222.05 KiB) Viewed 611 times
By Intheswamp
ShibbyFox wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:04 am ...But I didn't want it to die from lack of sunlight and moss strangulation so I decided to repot it in the standing water method with the pearlite peat moss 3:1 combo. And since I wa....
ShibbyFox wrote:Well it's a 3:1 combo of peat moss and perlite and I use distilled water only. I'm not sure what could've thrown the ph off. What's lfsm?
Ok, I thought it was a 3:1 perlite/peat moss mixture. I agree with Panman that it could be too wet. More perlite means less moist, more draining...more peat moss means wetter conditions.

Rinse your peat or LFSM. Pour some distilled water or rain water over the moss, stirring it good. Then knead it like you would biscuit dough, squeeze the dirty water out. Repeat a time or two. I don't rinse LFSM as much as I do peat. Rinse the perlite, also. It might look all white and clean but you will find it creates a milky water. The perlite processors use water to keep dust down when they're processing perlite...they use whatever water is available...salty water, dirty water, basically anything to keep the dust down. To make it easier on you you might want to buy a pack of paint strainer filter bags at Lowes or some other hardware store...they are made to fit inside 5-gallon buckets for painters to strain paint through when using sprayers to paint with. It helps to contain the peat and perlite while you rinse it. You probably get a better rinse of the peat moss without one but for the perlite I find they do very nicely as the perlite can get really messy.
https://www.amazon.com/5-gallon-paint-s ... t+strainer
andynorth liked this
By ShibbyFox
Update: pretty sure they're dead. :cry:
Attachments:
IMG_20230918_070016_064.jpg
IMG_20230918_070016_064.jpg (254.99 KiB) Viewed 514 times
Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!