FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
I've got basically three types of filiformis plants.

2 - Tracyi (two different sources, both, well over 1 year old)
5 - Florida Red / White Flower (1 older plant, 4 one-year-old seedlings)
7+ - Florida Giant x Tracyi (1 mother plant, 6+ 1 year old leaf cuttings)

Of these the Florida Reds are the only plants that have flowered. All of the plants are growing in similar, basically identical conditions. The leaf cuttings I figure might not have flowered due to age (though they are a fair size now). But, the older plants should be plenty old enough to bloom. These are all outside in our wonderful south Alabama summer heat and sun.

This has got me scratching my head (at least I hope it ain't bugs :? ...the scratching that is :mrgreen: ). Anybody got a clue as to what's going on with the non-flowering plants?
Thanks!
By MikeB
My experience with Florida Red threadleaf sundews was that they don't know when to quit flowering. The plants bloomed from late spring until late fall.

My New Jersey filiformis, North Carolina filiformis, tracyi, Creamsicle, and Dreamsicle plants bloomed in late spring and early summer, then stopped.

My Creamsicle x self plants are still popping flowers, likely due to their Florida Red ancestor.
Intheswamp liked this
By ChefDean
You might gave hit it on the head with the age or heat or a combination of the two. My filiformis FR, WF (well established) starts throwing up flower stalks late spring and doesn't stop. My two tracyi (one young, one mature, both acquired this year) have done nothing. My Dreamsicle (also acquired this year) is putting up its first flower stalk as we speak.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep watching and see if anything shows up! Just happy to hear nothing goofy is going on. And those Florida reds definitely throw up some flowers!!
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:01 am And those Florida reds definitely throw up some flowers!!
And throw off some seeds. They don't need stratification (at least, mine didn't). I used a rectangular windowsill planter as a pot, with some holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. By the end of September, the entire surface of the planter was carpeted in little red sundews.
Intheswamp liked this
By optique
It been a weird year for weather, most of my cp's have looked worse this year then ever before. I took this photo of my sundews today they are just now starting to look ok.

Panman liked this
Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Question about flytraps

One thing I notice in the picture is that they are[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Boy this is hard work

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A[…]

Hi from FNQ.

G'day!

I’ll be honest, I’ll probably end up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!