FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Moo5e
Hi everyone so after 10 years of not having carnivorus plants I decided today while I was at home depot I would buy some and they did not have any glazed saucers like I use to have years ago so I passed on buying one for now, would a tin lid be safe for a flytrap, trumpet pitcher, and a sundew in dirrect sunlight even if its just temporary till I get a glazed saucer?
By Intheswamp
Maybe. :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum! Honestly, I really don't know how long it would take for the metals to transfer into the water. I'd be a little apprehensive, but it may cause no harm for a few days. How many and what size pots are you talking about. If two or three pots, then slipping the bottoms of each pot into a ziplock would work for a few days...not the prettiest, but it works. You could lay four pieces of wood on a table, take a piece of soft plastic (dry cleaning bag?) and lay over the four pieces to "build a tray". Anything that would create a raised edge for the plastic to rest on and hold water like a bowl will work....four packs of saltine crackers and a split-open bread bag would work (I mean, if you get desperate. ;) ). I wish I could tell you "yay" or "nay" about the tin lids...hey!...lay a piece of plastic in the lid to make a barrier between the metal and the water!!!! Food wrap would work!!! :lol: Just came to me... :mrgreen:
By DragonsEye
I wouldn't recommend using the tin -- it will rust quickly. Also wouldn't bother with the expense of using a glazed saucer .... There are any number of cheaper alternatives around. (And that goes for cheap alternative pots, too.) :ugeek: Check out these threads:

upcycling-food-containers-t49436.html

cups-trays-bags-and-other-quot-what-hav ... 55131.html

Really there are a lot of alternative options out there -- just need to use a little imagination. :D
By Panman
Agreed on avoiding the metal. Once you notice a problem, it will be too late. Stick to plastic. Recycled containers work okay. You'll need to replace them after 1 or two seasons because of the UV from the sun. 1020 trays designed for pots work well as long as you don't buy the cheap ones off of Amazon.
roarke liked this
By Gary
If you buy gallon jugs of water, any type, you can cut the bottom off the jug and use that for a tray. I've been using them for years and not had a problem.
roarke liked this
Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

Hello from New England

Welcome

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!