FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By StephenB200+
I went to water my capes a few days ago and noticed serval different pests. I used Ortho 3 in 1 two days ago, and the images are their present status. What would you folks do, go full scorched earth method and repot?
Attachments:
IMG_5860.jpeg
IMG_5860.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_5861.jpeg
IMG_5861.jpeg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_5862.jpeg
IMG_5862.jpeg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 784 times
IMG_5863.jpeg
IMG_5863.jpeg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 784 times
By Panman
I hate aphids and they seem to love capes! I'd isolate the plants and use the 3-in-1 for a few weeks. It won't kill the eggs, so you need to kill the adults and then the new ones that hatch. The only way that a repot is going to work is if you end up removing all of the soil and scrub the plants to remove any possible eggs. I'd go with the insecticide. You could try alternating the 3-in-1 with Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. Its active ingredient is a bacteria call spinosaid which might help. I have found that it doesn't bother sundews at all. I had an infestation and I have been hitting it with 3-in-1 every other week for a 9 weeks and it seems to have worked.
StephenB200+ liked this
By StephenB200+
Thanks Panman. My Capes were doing the best that they’ve ever done, shooting up many plantlets and many flower scapes. You’re right, the aphids like the long stems and go all Nosferatu on them. I’ll get some of that Captain Jack’s Brew.
Panman wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:57 pm I hate aphids and they seem to love capes! I'd isolate the plants and use the 3-in-1 for a few weeks. It won't kill the eggs, so you need to kill the adults and then the new ones that hatch. The only way that a repot is going to work is if you end up removing all of the soil and scrub the plants to remove any possible eggs. I'd go with the insecticide. You could try alternating the 3-in-1 with Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. Its active ingredient is a bacteria call spinosaid which might help. I have found that it doesn't bother sundews at all. I had an infestation and I have been hitting it with 3-in-1 every other week for a 9 weeks and it seems to have worked.
andynorth's Grow/want list

Not the actual plant. Just a pic of what Matt has.[…]

please and thank you :D

Trying My Hand With TC

Sweet. I will check them out.

Certainly. I used to live in Springwood, middle bl[…]

Hi from FNQ.

I've been keeping all types of CP's for most of th[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Hi from MD!

Hi, I’ve grown vfts on and off since the 198[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!