FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
This was a surprise.
I cut stalks off of my binata var multifida a while ago. One struck with the expected plantlets at media level, but one decided to do this.
20230721_073530.jpg
20230721_073530.jpg (617.68 KiB) Viewed 954 times
I didn't expect false vivipary from a stalk cut six weeks ago, but this plant has surprised me previously with how robust its genes seem to be. Heck! Divisions I separated and repotted two weeks ago are already putting up new growth and flower stalks. I know this is probably a stress response, but it isn't slowing down.
Dang!
Time to snip the cut stalk to let this strike continue.
wcrosman, Shadowtski, Intheswamp and 3 others liked this
By Intheswamp
Cool. Do sundews strike pretty good from flower stalks? How long do you let the stalks get before cutting them? Inquiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:51 pm Cool. Do sundews strike pretty good from flower stalks? How long do you let the stalks get before cutting them? Inquiring minds want to know. :mrgreen:
In my experience, yes. Sundews strike better than other carny plants. The younger the stalk, the better. I usually cut them before they get about six inches
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Ok, I might try some of a couple of types. I've got a d. multifida.extrema that has gone bonkers...nothing but giant flower stalks...it happened after I stupidly let it run dry while out of town a couple of months ago...and, man...that plant was looking GOOD!!! :cry: :cry: I'm thinking of cutting it to the ground and see what happens. Maybe stick the cut stalks in a tray of live sphagnum moss and let happen whatever happens. Thankfully I had made some leaf cuttings before the torture period hid the mother plant and I've got three young plants trying to get a foothold. Thanks for the info!
By Panman
BTW, binatas propagate super easily from root cuttings. I've slipped the plant out of the pot, cut a couple of inches of root, and slid it back into into the pot.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Hmm, I could do a three-fer....flower stalk prop, root prop, and give the plant a buzz-cut. Something oughta happen with at least one of those!!! :D

FB_IMG_1714215761115.jpg This is the first one I[…]

Rain

Got your buckets ready!??? ;) Yes!. 30 gall[…]

Long time ago this nepenthes began flowering and w[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!