FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By williamsc47
Hi there,

I am just after a little advice.

I purchased 2 Venus flytraps at a garden centre about 4 or 5 weeks ago, but they are in pretty small (2 inch/5cm) pots and I am wondering if I should repot them now or wait until after dormancy in Feb/March? Most advice seems to suggest leaving it as a general rule, but the small size of the pots makes me think it might be better to act now.

The plants are actually doing pretty well at the moment, so I expect they are strong enough...what do you all think? (See pic)

I have had them on a windowsill under red & Blue lighting for about three weeks and have been keeping them wet to moist at all times with deionised water. I have some 4 inch pots which I hope to use as they will fit well with my space requirements, will this suffice?

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice
Attachments:
IMG_20230712_192754.jpg
IMG_20230712_192754.jpg (376.88 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
By ChefDean
If you know that they're in the proper media, leave them for now. However, optimal conditions for VFT's include at least six hours of direct, unfiltered sunlight. A sunny windowsill is insufficient. Artificial lighting can be substituted, but it needs to be strong and long, 16+ hours a day.
My suggestion would be to put them outside in a spot that gets direct AM sun, and shade in the afternoon.
williamsc47 liked this
By williamsc47
Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

As far as I know the potting media that they are in is trustworthy, but its hard to be 100% sure. The fact that they seem to be doing well though makes me feel reasonably comfortable that it is at least sufficient for the time being.

I am currently exposing them to 12 hours of red and blue (purple) light every day. This seems to be reasonably strong although it is hard to tell. It is a very small light fitting that only really covers the 2 -3 plants and is apparently 10 Watts. I currently have them about 3 inches away from these lights and so far they seem to be happy with it. Unfortunately, I cannot set the timer to anything other than 12 hours, so unless I do it manually (which I will forget to do) I cannot extend this unless I buy a new unit. I might consider this in the future.

As for putting outside, yeah this is probably the best way to go but its not really what I am aiming for and I have pretty slim pickings on outside space anyway. I may look into an additional outside selection of plants at a later date but would still like a small selection indoors.

So anyway, leave them as they are for now then and repot them in spring you think?
By MikeB
If those were my plants, I would repot them now just because I don't like growing flytraps in tiny pots. Flytraps have long roots, and those pots are way too small for the roots to stretch out. I'm surprised that you aren't seeing roots pop out of the drain holes.

The 4-inch pots are okay but not ideal. Can you find any tall pots, at least 5 inch deep? That would give the plants a lot more "leg room". I like these pots; 4.4-inch diameter is decent, 5.3- or 6.1-inch diameter is better. They have good height and great drainage, plus they're incredibly sturdy (I could stand one one and it wouldn't crumple). If the plants will be under lights, then the gray color is okay. If the plants will be in direct sun, then I recommend the white pots to discourage the soil from heating up.
By williamsc47
Hi,

Thanks for the response and alternate view point.

Actually, there is a root coming out of one of the pots. I have been looking for taller pots but most of the ones I have found (here in the UK) are usually much the same height as width. I have been a bit picky on colours and styles though so it might be worth looking further. The trouble is, the space I have for them only allows for 4" so that is a limitation.

I will keep thinking it over....I guess its fair to say that it's more an opinion thing than a strong recommendation in terms of reporting now or later?

Thanks again
By evenwind
While you're thinking about repotting, consider slip potting into deeper pots as a compromise. That way the roots will be pretty much undisturbed and they'll still have room to grow.
williamsc47 liked this
By williamsc47
evenwind wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:48 pm While you're thinking about repotting, consider slip potting into deeper pots as a compromise. That way the roots will be pretty much undisturbed and they'll still have room to grow.
Yeah, very good idea. I was thinking this actually and may well be a good idea as a compromise option.

Many thanks
By MikeB
williamsc47 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:44 pm Actually, there is a root coming out of one of the pots. I have been looking for taller pots but most of the ones I have found (here in the UK) are usually much the same height as width. I have been a bit picky on colours and styles though so it might be worth looking further.
Deep pots are difficult to find. I always keep an eye out for suitable pots to house my flytraps. FYI - I found those same Bangqiao pots on amazon.co.uk; they're twice as expensive as here in the U.S. :shock:
williamsc47 wrote: The trouble is, the space I have for them only allows for 4" so that is a limitation.
Flytraps aren't huge plants, but they do tend to multiply. With my "horde", a 4-inch / 10-centimeter pot is good for maybe 2 years before it's filled with plants.
williamsc47 wrote: I guess its fair to say that it's more an opinion thing than a strong recommendation in terms of reporting now or later?
Your flytraps should be okay in those pots for this growing season. I would move them to roomier quarters before next spring arrives.
williamsc47 liked this
By williamsc47
Yeah, I haven't had much luck finding deeper pots. Those don't look too bad, but as you say, they are expensive, especially in the UK. Thanks for suggesting them though, I will consider them.
By Intheswamp
Well, this might not work for you since you're seem to have a certain "look" that you want to attain, which is understandable. But, these stadium cups work well with two or three holes cut into the sides just above the bottom. Don't cut the holes in the bottoms as once the cup is sitting in a saucer the holes may become blocked. Fairly sturdy plastic though they can give a little bit when picked up...probably available at pubs/bars, delis, sporting events, etc.,...with different printing on them, of course. ;)
Attachments:
Stadium_cup.jpg
Stadium_cup.jpg (101.66 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
MikeB, williamsc47 liked this
By williamsc47
Hey, not a bad idea...thanks for the suggestion. Not something I even thought of. I can't say I have seen much of this sort of thing in the UK, although I haven't really been looking. I know I have seen them in the US though. In fact, I have a Kennedy Space Centre one being used as a storage tub within sight right now :)

Thanks again, Will keep that in mind.
andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!