FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jester135
hey everyone, quick question, how early can i repot a vft that was repotted (unboxing repotting) 1st week of may? and what size pot do you think is more applicable for the vfts if i am repotting?
Attachments:
B52(3).jpg
B52(3).jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 713 times
B52(2).jpg
B52(2).jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 713 times
B52(1).jpg
B52(1).jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 713 times
By AhmtBgraa
@Jester135, In my opinion, the best time to change pots is before dormancy. Because the plant stops producing new leaves, but root and rhizome growth continues. In this way, it easily adapts to its new pot with minimal stress.
But if you wish, you can also change the pot in the spring. But this method will slow down the growth for 1-3 weeks. And I can say from my own experience that long pots always mean better root and rhizome development. You can decide how big the pot should be by looking at the size of the plant, its age and root length. I use square pots with a length of 9-12 cm on average and I am quite satisfied.
By Panman
I think with the water level that you have in that pot, you are asking for root rot. Flytrap roots are about 5 inches long and do not like to be sitting in standing water. If you need it to sit in standing water, then get a taller pot so that the roots will have a drier zone to grow in. Personally, I haven't seen a setback with repotting flytraps when I am moving them into new sphagnum moss. Often, I see an improvement in growth. What you don't want to do is divide the plant outside of dormancy. That can really cause issues. But I haven't seen any problem with moving to fresh media.
Intheswamp liked this

I have a Viparspectra v1000 in my grow area, about[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!