FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Yesterday I was messing with my plants, I've still got plants in the trailer that NEED TO BE OUTSIDE but due to marauding chipmunks and squirrels and other things I've yet to build them a safe abode outdoors. Anyhow, I had two trays of sundews planted. It's been HOT down here in south Alabama and the old trailer will let you know it. :shock: Anyhow, when I was watering things trying to at least give them a sip of water in their tortured state, I had a slight goof. I had two trays planted with drosera seeds...some spats and capensis. One tray is a half some spat seeds from my granddaughters now dearly departed spat. The other half of it is some Cal Carn x somethinganother capensis. The other tray contained some "mixed typical capensis" or something to the that effect. While I was pulling a large container of some filiformis leaf cuttings off the shelf it snagged the mixed cape tray. Oh well... :roll:
Attachments:
The remaining half-and-half tray...
The remaining half-and-half tray...
IMG_9720 (Custom).JPG (555.06 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
The mixed capes...R.I.P.
The mixed capes...R.I.P.
IMG_9721 (Custom).JPG (611.31 KiB) Viewed 1078 times
By Panman
Is like to say that has never happened to me, but I don't have any alabamensis or oreophila seedlings because of a similar situation.
By Intheswamp
Yeah. It was one of those "Huh?" moments. It's done, nothing to do about it...move on.<sigh> But, to be honest I think the heat has hurt propagation anyhow. Those D.regia I started and had a couple of green specks...gone. :( I'm letting the regia cups ride it out but this heat isn't helping matters.
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:49 amWhile I was pulling a large container of some filiformis leaf cuttings off the shelf it snagged the mixed cape tray. Oh well... :roll:
Well, you can't get much more " mixed" than that. :mrgreen: Seriously, anyone who has grown plants for any length of time has done something like that at least once, I suspect.
Panman, Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Well, I guess I can mark that one off of my bucket list!!! :mrgreen:
By Panman
DragonsEye wrote:anyone who has grown plants for any length of time has done something like that at least once
Emphasis on "at least". UV brittle pots have elicited more than one explicative from me.
By Bluefire
I have a cactus in a chipped terracotta pot because it fell off a shelf once - one branch broke. I've also had a number of seedlings blown down by the wind and scattered across the inhospitable astroturf. Poor little things.
By evenwind
I don't know why you guys wait until the seeds are planted? I much prefer tipping over the pot that contains my seed collection envelopes. That way I can scrape up contributions from 20 or so different species and/or locations. It makes a nice seed bank contribution of "mixed drosera - bulk".
By Panman
There was the time I was harvesting seeds and accidently added the intermedia pods into the filiformis envelope. Voila, a give away for mixed seeds.

Primuliflora is a warm temperate and may require a[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I’ve seen people mention putting ice in with[…]

Cephalotus pitcher die off

I have a cephalotus that seems to have a lot of pi[…]

Just a short comment on the tent. Would Jade be[…]

When do I pot leaf pulls?

wait until the mother leaf is completely dry b[…]

Hello from the California!

Welcome. Be sure to check out the seedbank.

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be sprin[…]

I pass on winning =) i just wanted to post a photo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!