FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jonathan_
Is there any genetic differences of P.lutea from NC and P.lutea from Florida? Or are they virtually the same?
By MikeB
Same plant, different locations (like S. flava from NC and S. flava from north FL). The Carolina plants are more cold-tolerant than the Florida ones.
By DragonsEye
Genetic differences? Yes. Just as one will with any plants from different populations. For that matter, even within a population there will be genetic differences across individuals-- unless they are all clones of one plant.
By ChefDean
jeff wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:14 am what do you mean by genetic difference?

all the lutea have the same number of chromosomes 2n=32 ditto for the DNA on the other hand we can find various forms in particular of the alba form (white therefore)
Genetic as in gene expression, not chromosome count. Humans (barring monosomy or trisomy) all have 23 pairs of chromosomes, 46 total, but we all look different. An example of that would be that I looks so much better than Panman, but Shadowtski makes me look like a Picasso painting.
You answered your own question by using the alba form as an example as it expresses genes for a chlorophyll deficiency rather than the normal, expected shades of green of a typical plant.
So...
Jonathan_ wrote:Is there any genetic differences of P.lutea from NC and P.lutea from Florida? Or are they virtually the same?
Yes and yes.
Yes, a lutea from NC will be genetically different from one in Florida. Heck, a seed grown lutea in situ will be genetically different from a seed grown lutea right next to it due to how the genes lined up when the mommy and daddy lutea gave each other a very special hug.
And yes, a lutea from NC (based on a estimated seven trillion genetic possibilities) will be virtually the same as a lutea in Florida.
By jeff
Genes are found in chromosomes, which are in the cell nucleus.
DNA for a lot of ping
http://pinguicula.free.fr/phyl.png

the alba form of P.lutea is not due to the color of its leaves but rather to its flowers which are much paler than the typical form.

see here :
http://www.pinguicula.org/pages/Publica ... a_alba.pdf
http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/donnees-m ... lutal.html# ( the picture)

the most common pigments causing blue, red, violet color are anthocyanins
We can thus observe that the color variation in the flowers is due either to a reduction in the quantity of pigment allocated in the petals: the flowers devoid of pigment are yellow or white.

sometimes even the color of the flowers comes from the nature of the substrate
May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Since I’m sending a SASE anyway…

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

VFT nice catch

Those crane flies are a pain. Contrary to popular […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!