FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By alecStewart1
Hey gang,

I was curious about this for a bit and I just remember to make a post.

So I have some HydroGuard for my Aerogarden to prevent root rot. I was wondering if HydroGuard could be useful for some CPs as its ingredient list is a good bacteria and "Inert Ingredients". That 2nd ingredient probably means a water that was sterilized before introducing the bacillus amyloliquefaciens culture.

The other item would be trichoderma strains. For pings, this could be useful since Browning Heart Disease is, if I recall correctly, from a type of nematode . I found this https://www.arbico-organics.com/product ... fungicide/ while looking up what could treat trichoderma, as it's always a worry when owning pings.

Are these at all useful for any or all CPs?
By Panman
I might have to try something like that for a couple of plants. I lost several to rhizome rot last year, despite strict water management.
By alecStewart1
Panman wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:17 am I might have to try something like that for a couple of plants. I lost several to rhizome rot last year, despite strict water management.
I wonder about HydroGuard specifically because in it's use for hydroponics there's usually nutrients in the water that the bacteria help break down as well as fighting off bad bacteria (it's like probiotics in your gut). So maybe it works, maybe not.

I think the trichoderma is the most interesting, as when you look up "fungicide for browning heart disease" the most you get is the mention of trichoderma. As a note, a snippet from the Wikipedia page on trichoderma:
Trichoderma is a genus of fungi in the family Hypocreaceae that is present in all soils, where they are the most prevalent culturable fungi. Many species in this genus can be characterized as opportunistic avirulent plant symbionts. This refers to the ability of several Trichoderma species to form mutualistic endophytic relationships with several plant species. The genomes of several Trichoderma species have been sequenced and are publicly available from the JGI.

Long time ago this nepenthes began flowering and w[…]

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!