FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Jester135
I noticed that there are 2 types of sphagnum (the brown one which is dry and the green one which is live)? is there any difference in using any of those for vft?
By davinstewart
They are both great for growing vft. In fact, many people prefer a dead sphagnum moss mix as the best medium for growing vfts.

Regardless of the growing media, though, I enjoy using live sphagnum as a top dressing for my flytrap pots since it is a good indicator of when to water. I don't keep my flytrap pots in standing water since it can contribute to rot and instead water periodically from the top. In those circumstances, I know I need to water if the sphagnum is drying out. One downside to this is that I need to shave back the sphagnum when it starts to overgrow the vfts.
By Intheswamp
Yeah, either should work ok. Are you planning to create a mix with perlite or sand? A top dressing or even a top inch or two of live sphagnum is good...creates a good environment for the traps and looks rather nice.
By Jester135
right now i have 3 vft.. one in just peat moss + perlite and 2 that are in peat + perlite on the bottom and sphagnum on top... 2 are in self watering pots and one in a reg plastic pot that i soak underneath once the soil feels dry... i wanted to see which plant grows better/ faster. in a growlight + self watering pot or the traditional method of plain sunlight and watering only when soil is dry. eventually if i get more i'm gonna see if peat+ perlite is better as a medium or just plain sphagnum
Attachments:
typical vft.jpg
typical vft.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
b52 pot.jpg
b52 pot.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
b52 mix.jpg
b52 mix.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1444 times
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

Oo, very nice. That right one is particularly nice[…]

She definitely needs to go outside, yes. Keep her […]

FB_IMG_1714215761115.jpg This is the first one I[…]

Rain

Got your buckets ready!??? ;) Yes!. 30 gall[…]

Long time ago this nepenthes began flowering and w[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!