FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Nocturne
This Veitchii has grown well for 2 years in what appears to be pincushion and springy turf moss that I impulsively picked up before sphag cultivation. They are way more drought resistance and I kinda like their look! Just wondering if anyone have tried to use any moss other than sphagnum to go with cp. Image
By Gary
I've tried collecting and growing various wild mosses with almost no success. Regardless of how I care for them, lots of light, shady light, lots of moisture, the wild stuff always struggles and eventually dies. The only moderate success I'm having is with the plug of star moss you sent me a while back. It's propagating, but slowly. The strand of red sphagnum you sent doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. I know it's a slow growth plant, but it's been pretty much static. I think me and mosses are just not meant to be. I may try buying some green sphagnum to see if my luck changes.
By Nocturne
Gary wrote:I've tried collecting and growing various wild mosses with almost no success. Regardless of how I care for them, lots of light, shady light, lots of moisture, the wild stuff always struggles and eventually dies. The only moderate success I'm having is with the plug of star moss you sent me a while back. It's propagating, but slowly. The strand of red sphagnum you sent doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. I know it's a slow growth plant, but it's been pretty much static. I think me and mosses are just not meant to be. I may try buying some green sphagnum to see if my luck changes.
Could be high minerals in water, i would do a tds test or try spring water. If those strands are not dissolving then it might just be the cold, keep the light and humidity high and they should start to produce green growth heads.
By Gary
I'm keeping the mosses indoors under the grow lights, using Zero Water. I mist the star moss a couple times a day, and keep the sphagnum damp to wet. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!