FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Garden_Nymph
I have always loved the look of Mistletoe. We always see it out here wild in the tops of trees when their leaves drop in the fall, just balls of green in the branches. I have always wanted some but being a shorty of only 5ft 2in (every little bit counts) I could never reach it. But when I went to the mailbox to fetch my fabulous Hollyhock prize from the mailbox we saw they had chopped down an entire tree. We went and looked and low and behold full of Mistletoe! and low enough for me to reach! I dont know if I can grow it since I dont really have a host plant for it but at the very least will dry some for Christmas. I even have some berries! Just wanted to share :D
Attachments:
IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_1600.jpeg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_1599.jpeg
IMG_1599.jpeg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1697 times
IMG_1598.jpeg
IMG_1598.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1697 times
Camden, DragonsEye, ChefDean liked this
By DragonsEye
I've never seen mistletoe in person. Don't believe it is as common here. If you do wish to grow your own, from what I understand, you will need to start from seed and keeping a host plant.
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Intheswamp
Garden_Nymph wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:29 pm I have always loved the look of Mistletoe. We always see it out here wild in the tops of trees when their leaves drop in the fall, just balls of green in the branches. I have always wanted some but being a shorty of only 5ft 2in (every little bit counts) I could never reach it. But when I went to the mailbox to fetch my fabulous Hollyhock prize from the mailbox we saw they had chopped down an entire tree.<snip>
At 4'11" my wife would think you play for the WNBA. ;)
Garden_Nymph liked this
By Gary
I used to live in the SF Bay Area. Lots of oak trees there, and most had mistletoe growing up high in the branches. When the leaves dropped you could see big clumps of it. Some of the trees were easy to climb so you could harvest a clump or two. A friend of mine in HS gift-wrapped and sold it around the holidays for people to hang in their doorways.
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!