FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By PitcherLover40
Hey guys just wondering is it better to spray the maxsea fertilizer on the pings at night when my 4x 4ft sunblaster t5's high output are about to be turned off or is it better to spray on during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By entropy81
I'll give you a wild guess.

Look up whether or not they have CAM (Crassulacean Acid Metabolism) or use the C4 pathway. I have heard pings described as succulents and they look succulent and these adaptations are common in cacti and succulents. It probably depends on what kind of ping it is. All I could find with a quick search was this preview but I ain't paying for it:

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/4 ... 4779377833

Try both ways and see what works is probably the most practical thing to do. If they do have these adaptations, possibly it would be better to spray them at night because that would be when they open their stomata, to avoid water loss during the day.

I'm wondering the same question with pineapples. The pineapple is a CAM plant so once my tops start growing new leaves I think I'll try foliar ferts an hour after lights on and an hour after lights off with 2 of them to see if it makes any difference.

I'd guess it probably won't make a big difference though.
entropy81 liked this
By tommyr
For pings I use Schultz cactus fertilizer per Cal. Carn. Every 2 weeks lightly sprayed on the leaves during daytimes. My primuliflora plants are blooming nicely as I type.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!