FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By TankyBoom
How hard are D prolifera and D adelae to care for compared to D capensis? I heard that they are a little harder but am curious what the difference is.
By Sundews69
Welcome to the forum!

D. adelae is the easiest of the two so if you get one I would recommend you get that one. The main differences are these:
1. it can tolerate less light
2. it likes more humidity

Adelae is very easy once it settles in and grow very prolifically. It would probably do great on a sunny bathroom windowsill (humidity from showers/baths help out). If you are debating getting one, I'd say give it a go. Adelae is very rewarding and easy to propagate. I hope this helps!
tommyr liked this
By Huntsmanshorn
TankyBoom wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:06 pm Can it tolerate the humidity of an average home?
That would depend on the level of humidity in the "average home". My home, for instance, is about 40%, and it will not survive for me at that level.
By Bug_cemetery
Prolifera can be quite easy in a terrarium or tank. If your humidity level is very low and a terrarium isn’t an option it would probably do just fine in a clear storage bin as long as there was still some sort of air movement
By TankyBoom
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 pm
TankyBoom wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:06 pm Can it tolerate the humidity of an average home?
That would depend on the level of humidity in the "average home". My home, for instance, is about 40%, and it will not survive for me at that level.
Drosera Adelae cannot tolerate 40% humidity or is this prolifera? D:
By Bluefire
TankyBoom wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:21 am
Huntsmanshorn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:28 pm
Drosera Adelae cannot tolerate 40% humidity or is this prolifera? D:
Humidity in the most humid room I have access to is ~50% and D. adelae doesn't like it.

And, like Bug_cemetery said, D. prolifera can be grown in clear storage bins. Mine is growing in one such bin right now, and has been doing very well.
By Adelae
Adelae also struggled for me at 40-50% humidity, but it does beautifully in any kind of enclosed container. They like a little less light than other sundews too. I had tons going in a $2 plastic punch bowl on my desk at work for a while.
By dang
Quite easy to grow, but they do a lot better in high humidity compared to 40-50%. And they don't like too much light.
By tommyr
Adelae is very easy. Bright shade or a little Sun if you like them red. I don't find humidity an issue with them at any "normal" level. i have not grown prolifera yet but do grow andromeda, it loves high humidity. I grow them in clear closed containers. Here is a tray of adelae I had a few years back: Image
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!