FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Ideas for what? How to do it? What to give away?
By Camden
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:47 am You could always do this:
1. Someone
2. Someone else
3. Chefdean
etc
I was thinking of doing that but I kinda want to make the contestants work for it lol.
Sundews69 wrote:Ideas for what? How to do it? What to give away?
Now I can’t tell you what they are because I was thinking of revealing them as we go along.
I was thinking of combining a bunch of ideas (One of which being, whoever can beat me at chess, on chess.com first get the point :P)to make a kind of everything giveaway (hence the need for as much input as possible).
I was thinking of 3 prizes, one of them being a kind of starter kit for newer growers & the other 2 for more experienced growers. i might just make the starter kit a whole other thing though.
Savethetrees4life liked this
By DragonsEye
As Sundude asked ... are you inquiring as to what to give away or how to do it?

For the latter, your imagination/creativity and available TIME will be the determining factors.

T&D brought up the easiest, least involved sort of giveaway ... you have folks sign up and after a predetermined deadline, you draw a name or names (or use a random number generator).

You've seen the type that HollyHock will do and can see even more if you go to the "Giveaways" section of the forum and look for other past giveaways she has done. HOWEVER, you need to keep in mind that, while her giveaways are fun, they do take a lot more time and effort on her part to run. In addition, you have to consider with any such elaborate schema what you will do if it seems like it is not moving along or otherwise going as planned. Will you ride it out or change your course midstream? HH has done a number of such giveaways and yet, even with all her experience, things do not always go as she had planned. You've seen this with the giveaways she is currently doing. So if you really want to do a more involved giveaway as she tends to do, make sure you have the time to monitor the contest and modify it should you deem it necessary.

No matter which route you decide to go, remember to let all participants know right from the start important details such as: starting/stopping times, what is being offered, whether there will be more than one winner, and who will be responsible for shipping.
Sundews69, Camden, hollyhock liked this
By Sundews69
I'm quite liking this Sundude thing. Might need to make it official.

If you're looking for ideas on how to do it, take a look at HH past giveaways.
I know she has done these:
1. Have people guess what you're giving away by giving clues and such.
2. Have the little board with letters like she does.
3. Have people guess a place, object, or person by asking yes or no questions.
4. Just ask normal questions.
5. Do a tournament. Do trivia with, for example, 10 slots. Ask 10 questions and each person who gets one correct adds their name to the list (on a separate thread). Then have 5 mini rounds where two people go against each other for a spot in the finals. Then do something even more fun with the whole group: Play a board game, have a huge board with letters which you need to guess the correct word from, etc. Whoever is left wins.

Just some ideas. Hope they help!
Camden liked this
By Camden
Might have to ask Matt or one of the other moderators to let you change your name (idk how that works).

Yeah, I think I have the plants figured out. Just want some ideas of what the actual participants would think is fun.

Nice, my plan is to jam this giveaway with as much things as possible so every idea is invited. So if anyone has a fun idea you think should happen in a giveaway, here’s the place :P
Sundews69 liked this
By ChefDean
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:27 am I'm quite liking this Sundude thing. Might need to make it official.
There's already a Sundewd, so it might be a little confusing. However, say the word...
By Sundews69
ChefDean wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:18 am
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:27 am I'm quite liking this Sundude thing. Might need to make it official.
There's already a Sundewd, so it might be a little confusing. However, say the word...
Oh, I didn't think about that lol. Guess that's a bust.
By Camden
Sundews69 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:58 am
ChefDean wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:18 am
Oh, I didn't think about that lol. Guess that's a bust.
Well maybe not, Sundewd only has about 200 posts and doesn’t seem to be active all that much besides photo contest’s seed bank requests. You may just have to make an announcement on your growlist or something.
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
TrapsAndDews wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:47 am You could always do this:
1. Someone
2. Someone else
3. Chefdean
etc
I bet you like to run blindfolded down stairs with scissors in your hand, too, don't you! :lol:
TrapsAndDews liked this
By hollyhock
Well I will chime in for a couple of suggestions and ideas. :roll:
I'm not a huge fan of the sign up and go giveaway. But if I'm offering just packages of seeds or something small I will do this type. Easy to include shipping. Why I don't prefer them most of the time for anything of value is because there's no engagement. People sign up and go away and only check back to see if they have won. Also I see names of people that I don't even recognize as contributing much to the community.
Moving on.
If I have a holiday type giveaway I try to keep the subject of questions and puzzles on theme.
My biggest giveaway was the ABC giveaway. It went for 26 days to include pictures from each letter of the alphabet.
Photo type giveaways are fun too.
General rules I use are as follows
Make it simple , interesting, engaging, easy to understand, and be flexible if it's not working to change it up to make it better. Something that sounds good to you might end up being to complicated.
Also have clear instructions and information. Start date, end date, who covers shipping and announcements of the winners.
I like to have twists along the way to keep it fresh and interesting 😉
I have definitely learned lessons along the way. Trying to get everyone on at the same time generally doesn't work very well. And isn't fair for those that want to participate but the time doesn't work.
I'm sure there's more but whatever you decide thanks for keeping the spirit of generosity alive by hosting a giveaway :D
Camden liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Oddly shaped Sarr

Definitely looks like thrip damage, and they are v[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!