FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
My heliamphora are starting to look real nice, and I wanted to show them off! This post is pure species only - soon I'll do one with just my hybrids. Heliamphora sometimes get a bad rap as difficult to grow, but I grow all of mine in intermediate conditions at about 60% humidity. I've also found that heliamphora love water directly in their pitchers - this makes sense since most tepuis receive on the order of 50 feet of rain a year. Most of my helis are in a mix of LFS, coco coir, and perlite, however I've now switched to a mix of Fluval stratum and pumice for new divisions and cuttings, and that seems to be a far better mix for them.

H. Exappendiculata “Ewok”

This is my personal favorite pure species that I have. The colors are gorgeous and even the unopened pitchers look incredible.

H. Exappendiculata

Typical Exappendiculata isn't bad either - I wish it would color up more (it's at the exact same conditions as my "Ewok"), but maybe this particular clone is just greener.

H. Neblinae

Neblinae gets a reputation as being fussy - and I think this is at least partially true. When I first got it, all the pitchers died and I thought it was a goner, but after a week or two another pitcher popped up from the growth point, and now it's thriving (in intermediate conditions and 60% humidity)!

H. Purpurascens

This is definitely living up to its name.

H. Ionasi “Golden Form, Ilu Tepui”

This is my best looking of the 4 I have - for whatever reason they just aren't having a super good time, but they're finally recovering from import after a couple months and will hopefully put out some nice pitchers soon.

H. Ciliata “Gran Sabana, Venezuela”

Ciliata is an oddity - it's a lowland heliamphora, and seems to love the heat. I'm looking forward to adult pitchers.

H. Pulchella “Churi Tepui”

I've had this for about 9 months and it still only puts out juvenile pitchers, but at least it's making new growth points!

H. Minor var. pilosa

I'd wanted one of these ever since I knew they existed, and finally managed to snag a very tiny division for a cheap price earlier this year. I'm really looking forward to adult pitchers, but even the juvenile pitchers have some nice hair on them.

H. Nutans

And lastly, my first heliamphora. I didn't know what I was doing at the time, so it's a miracle it's still alive.

Sundews69, Camden, NightRaider and 4 others liked this
By Sundews69
They look great! Thanks for sharing! My helis are starting to look better too. They were in low-ish humidity and low light for a while when I was working on upgrading my set up. Now that I have an Ikea cabinet with hight humidity and sufficient lighting, they're thriving!
By cnrose
Supercazzola wrote:awesome! Can you share some insight on the egg crate on the “vertical” surfaces in the photo? Are they used for something?
I get some use out of the walls by using the egg-crate to mount my larger (and vining) Nepenthes that would otherwise take up too much space in my floor trays or on the shelves! Once I re-organize it and get another for the other side of the tent, I plan on doing the same with orchids and other taller epiphytes
Supercazzola liked this
By Supercazzola
cnrose wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:41 pm
Supercazzola wrote:awesome! Can you share some insight on the egg crate on the “vertical” surfaces in the photo? Are they used for something?
I get some use out of the walls by using the egg-crate to mount my larger (and vining) Nepenthes that would otherwise take up too much space in my floor trays or on the shelves! Once I re-organize it and get another for the other side of the tent, I plan on doing the same with orchids and other taller epiphytes

Are they hung from hanging pots or is there some other space saving pot, like a half circle that you place the flat side against the crate? Or is the fact that they can be at different levels vertically how you’re saving space ?
By cnrose
Supercazzola wrote:
cnrose wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:41 pm

Are they hung from hanging pots or is there some other space saving pot, like a half circle that you place the flat side against the crate? Or is the fact that they can be at different levels vertically how you’re saving space ?
I use these hooks to hang each pot from the grid. I have to make an incision in most pots to attach them to the hook, which I use a fruit paring knife and a gas burner for

Supercazzola liked this
By Supercazzola
I was thinking of doing a similar thing but came across this product which is a little bit cheaper than egg crate in my neck of the woods. I like the larger holes.
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 2722 times
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!