FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PitcherCrab
Is it necessary to "flush" the soil every time I water, or can I simply water until I start seeing it com out the bottom of the pot? What constitutes a flush?
By Aging_Bourbon
PitcherCrab wrote:Is it necessary to "flush" the soil every time I water, or can I simply water until I start seeing it com out the bottom of the pot? What constitutes a flush?
As long as the soils moist and isn't dry. But make sure you're using the right kinda water.
By PitcherCrab
Should I always be using distilled or rain water? I have my 2 ventrata in a 2" hanging pot and find that it takes quite a bit of water to water the entire pot. Its not a huge problem, but I would rather not have to keep spending money buying distilled water. I have a good water filter in my house, instead of the distilled water could I used filtered tap water that's been sitting out for 24h to allow any chlorine to dissipated? Or alternate between the filtered water and distilled water perhaps?

Also, is a 12" pot a good size for two plants? I read somewhere that they have shallow roots so don't like deep pots, so I was thinking I could put them into 2 smaller pots, which would reduce how much water they need as well.
But since I re-potted them they are doing so well... I'd hate to move them again.
Just after Repotting
Just after Repotting
IMG_0046.JPG (55.79 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Today close
Today close
IMG_0026.JPG (58.93 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
Today far
Today far
IMG_0027.JPG (26.18 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
By Lawndude84
Filtered water is always risky, I'd keep using distilled water. Do you live in an area that you would feel safe hanging it outside? Rain water works too, you could set jugs outside to collect raid water with, that might help reduce costs.
By kittyklaws
They llok great though! :D
By PitcherCrab
How cold is too cold for Nepenthes outside? I live in zone 10, so it rarely freezes, but it can get kinda chilly outside. Thanks for the tip on the rain water! Its been raining like crazy the last 2 days so I have a whole bunch of buckets that are outside already filled with water! One more question, have any of you ever used water from a fish tank to water your nepenthes? Its filtered and quite clean, although might contain a few nitrates from the fish.
By kittyklaws
Woah, SF is really Zone 10? wow I always thought it was zone 8/9 down here. nah, I've never used fishtank water. Just bottled R.O. water and distilled usually. Except that now that it's been raining buckets! :D
By PitcherCrab
Yeah... I just looked it up and the interwebs said its "10a", which I guess means it won't get below 35°F? Where in the bay area do you live kittyclaws?
By kittyklaws
I live right across the Bay Bridge in hercules East Bay :D
By Lawndude84
PitcherCrab wrote:Thanks for the tip on the rain water!
No problem! I know where you live you rarely get snow, but melting snow works as well. ;)

A question: do sarracenia need intense light dow[…]

Liberation from Lowe’s

I’m sorry that’s one plant? They di[…]

Results of self pollinating?

The ovary is 1/2 inch across? Or the umbrella is[…]

Flytrap ID

Bohemian Garnet My BG is young, and there are si[…]

Nwpenthes grow tent help

I haven't tried putting chilled water into the h[…]

any notes or tips would be helpful prop/ seed star[…]

Is this a steal?

When it coms to CP's you just never know. A plant […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!