FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By archimago
My drosera capensis flowered earlier this fall. I've been waiting for the stalk to die back so could harvest seed. Today I noticed that a couple sprigs of moss were different than the others. I got out the macro lens and confirmed that I have seedlings. Woo hoo!
By afh928
it's insane how exciting it is to discover germination!
By linton
Congratulations on the surprise germination of your Capensis weeds...oh, I meant seeds! You will notice that the lowest seed pod ripens first, then other pods upwards along the stem. Don't wait for the last pod to ripen before you harvest your seed because seed from the lower pods are already being dispersed by the plant. Just grab a sheet of white paper, crease it along the middle and hold it horizontally next to the flower stalk. Then gently bend the stalk over the paper and give the stalk a bit of gentle tapping with your forefinger and Hey Presto! Just look at all those seeds!! When the seed stops falling like tiny black rain, package it carefully and wait another week to repeat the process. Eventually when the last pod ripens, you'll have caught all the seed then the stalk can be removed.
By archimago
Thanks for the tip Linton. That's exactly what I did after I discovered the seedlings. I'm sure I lost some seed from my plant by not harvesting it earlier the way you suggest, but seeing all the seedlings sprouting up makes me think that it won't make much difference.
I think you may be right about them being weeds.
Hello from New England

Welcome

Finally!!! Rain!!!!

You should check Craig's List for plastic, food-g[…]

I notice that the tds readings of my tapwater can […]

New to carnivorous plants!

I wonder if the fibers death cube traps come in no[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

It's too soon to be able to provide a positive ID.[…]

Fun supermarket

Spam?

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!