FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By yardleyq1987
Wondering if I should snip and pot these? I’ve never had experience with this P. Gigantea producing these offshoots like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
It’s normal. They make these and they basically etiolate their way into the light.

By yardleyq1987
Matt, I can absolutely do that. Is there a correct procedure in removing and repotting these ? Would want to ruin them. Thanks in advanced.

By yardleyq1987
*would not

By Matt
yardleyq1987 wrote:Matt, I can absolutely do that. Is there a correct procedure in removing and repotting these ?
I honestly don't have much experience with Pings, but they seem to propagate easily enough through leaf pullings and when those little "vines" (as you call them) or offshoots start. I'd just trace the "vine" to where it is attached to the mother plant or rooted in the soil and carefully remove it as best as I could. Then pot it up in long-fiber sphagnum if you have it. Peat would probably work fine too but with a higher chance of causing the plant to rot before it would root.
By yardleyq1987
Matt wrote:
yardleyq1987 wrote:Matt, I can absolutely do that. Is there a correct procedure in removing and repotting these ?
I honestly don't have much experience with Pings, but they seem to propagate easily enough through leaf pullings and when those little "vines" (as you call them) or offshoots start. I'd just trace the "vine" to where it is attached to the mother plant or rooted in the soil and carefully remove it as best as I could. Then pot it up in long-fiber sphagnum if you have it. Peat would probably work fine too but with a higher chance of causing the plant to rot before it would root.
Thanks Matt! If both offshoots survive, you can definitely take one.

By twitcher
Hey, Matt. Wish you offered pings for sale. I am sure I would buy from you given that development. Also, if you ever do get interested, I'm also sure that you could get more donations from the forum member toi get you started.

Yardley, thank you for getting this going. Let the shoot mature for awhile before removing it. It will turn into a larger plant that will better survive the removal process.

Hey guys (and gals) lobby for matt to get into pings!
By Matt
twitcher wrote:Hey, Matt. Wish you offered pings for sale. I am sure I would buy from you given that development.
Many, many years ago now we did offer some Pings on FlytrapStore.com. I haven't grown any now since about 2012 or 2013. I did enjoy them though!
twitcher wrote:Also, if you ever do get interested, I'm also sure that you could get more donations from the forum member toi get you started.
I am shifting focus away from swimming so much and to building FlytrapStore up more, so I am actively looking for trades and purchasing a lot of plants for the first time in a number of years. It feels great :D :D :D

I'm mostly looking for Sarrs but am open to almost anything right now, just to check out plants I've not grown before or replace ones that I had in the past that I really enjoyed. P. gigantea is definitely one of those. I also really liked my P. laueana. Those bright red, overly saturated flowers were so awesome!

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!