FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By ZackNJ
I bought a 40 gallon tank a few days ago and now I'm not so sure that the size is good. The measurements of the 40 gallon tank is 36'' long, 18'' wide, and 18'' high. I am only using this tank for my Helis and maybe some of my Cephs. I ordered a bunch of Heliamphora's and they should be coming within the next 2 weeks or so. Do you guys think this size tank is good for Heli's?
By labine
it should be fine! the heliamphoras will take a while before they outgrow youre tank.Especially if you get unmature plants.same for cephalotus
By ZackNJ
labine wrote:it should be fine! the heliamphoras will take a while before they outgrow youre tank.Especially if you get unmature plants.same for cephalotus
I have a Heli nutan giant that is mature already(I also have 3 Cephs that are mature already as well)
By Steve_D
I hope that my recently acquired Heliamphora nutans will be smaller than H. nutans "Giant," conforming more to the size range listed in Barry Rice's book, "Growing Carnivorous Plants" (a really good book):

About Heliamphora nutans (from the book):

H. nutans was the first species of Heliamphora discovered, in 1839 by Robert Schomburgk, near the base of one of the Mount Roraima, one of the very high, table-top mountains of Venezuela and Guyana. It has pitchers usually 3-7 inches (8-18 centimeters) tall.

---

The recent computer animated movie "UP" takes place in large part on one of the tepuis of South America, and if you rent the movie, you may also want to check out the bonus feature, 2 cute cartoons and, of special interest to us carnivorous plant lovers, a mini-documentary about the movie creators' trip to Roraima and its neighboring tepui, Kukenam. The videography is stunning, and a Heliamphora makes a brief appearance among the geography and flora of the region; very interesting.

Steve
By Matt
Steve_D wrote:The recent computer animated movie "UP" takes place in large part on one of the tepuis of South America, and if you rent the movie, you may also want to check out the bonus feature, 2 cute cartoons and, of special interest to us carnivorous plant lovers, a mini-documentary about the movie creators' trip to Roraima and its neighboring tepui, Kukenam. The videography is stunning, and a Heliamphora makes a brief appearance among the geography and flora of the region; very interesting.
Oooh, I've been wanting to see this movie and this makes me want to run out and grab it right now!
By ZackNJ
O.k so I've decided to return the 36'' long, 18'' wide, 18'' tall back to petsmart. I ordered a 36'' long, 18'' wide, 25'' tall tank with a glass cover from glasscages.com They are going to be at a reptile show on Sunday and I am going to pick it up from there :)
New donation, new location

I'd like to thank Aquis31 for his latest donation.[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank ChelleB1005 for her latest donat[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1654. I'll PM[…]

So I got myself two different N. ventricosa 'Porce[…]

Updated pictures I took today, it's been ~6-7 mont[…]

New donation

Also, thank you Panman for donating envelopes. I'd[…]

I got both of these from Amazon. They work well. […]

Will S. rubra var. rubra stay within that size r[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!