FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Melle
Hi hi,

So many different lights. What lamp is the best to pick for some indoor Drosera and Dionaea plants and seeds growing?

T5 Led.
Emitting colors: 11 Red, 4 Blue (660nm red + 450 nm blue)
AC85-265V and 5W
Lenght is 29 cm.

T5
6000K, 3W, AC 220V
SMD 2835
lm: 260
Lenght is 28 cm.

I noticed these are just 1 stripe LED lights. I see some other use a sort of square size lamp. I think that will fit better.
Any ideas or recommendations are more than welcome!  
By boarderlib
How big of an area are you trying to light? How many plants? Is it going to be open air or enclosed?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Melle
boarderlib wrote:How big of an area are you trying to light? How many plants? Is it going to be open air or enclosed?

Thank you for the reply.
Just a tray of seeds and maybe 1 or 2 Drosera's. Like A4 paper size area to light.
Open or air enclosed not sure, what is best for Drosera seeds? I do have a small Grow tray. Like this one.
Is this air enclosed?
Image[/url]
By boarderlib
Too germinate them the top will be very beneficial, but once they start growing then ditch the top (somewhat slowly). For that small of an area I would just use a couple clamp lights and compact fluorescents. 6500k in color or daylight, same thing. I'm not very fluent with LED's yet, so I can't give to much insight on those. I have/do run everything from the clamp lights to T8's to T5's to to custom made fluorescent fixtures to the Marshydro LED's.

By boarderlib
Yes, that would be considered enclosed, open air is just growing at ambient household humidity levels and temperatures. Enclosed will have higher humidity levels, but also increases the chances of stagnant air, mold, and rot. I use the shorter version of that lid for my germinating.

My apologies for two replies, I started to reply at work, and ended when I got home, so I forgot to elaborate on the lid.

By Melle
boarderlib wrote:Too germinate them the top will be very beneficial, but once they start growing then ditch the top (somewhat slowly). For that small of an area I would just use a couple clamp lights and compact fluorescents. 6500k in color or daylight, same thing. I'm not very fluent with LED's yet, so I can't give to much insight on those. I have/do run everything from the clamp lights to T8's to T5's to to custom made fluorescent fixtures to the Marshydro LED's.
So you mean with the 'top' the plastic cover on top of the grow tray? So just some 6500k lights are enough for the Drosera seeds?
What about some more tropical or complex Drosera's? I would like to have some in the future. Can I use same tray and light for these?

boarderlib wrote:Yes, that would be considered enclosed, open air is just growing at ambient household humidity levels and temperatures. Enclosed will have higher humidity levels, but also increases the chances of stagnant air, mold, and rot.
So, with cover the humidity and temperature will automatically increase when I have tray with plastic cover? Even when there is no sun and the tray is just in household temperature?
boarderlib wrote: I use the shorter version of that lid for my germinating.
What do you mean by shorter version of that lid? The lights direct/close to the seeds? Like 1/2 cm above it?
By boarderlib
Melle wrote: So you mean with the 'top' the plastic cover on top of the grow tray? So just some 6500k lights are enough for the Drosera seeds?
What about some more tropical or complex Drosera's? I would like to have some in the future. Can I use same tray and light for these?
Yes 6500k lights will be enough, if you want the most out of CFL then order some Sunblaster bulbs preferably the 26 watt version. If you're getting into "special" needs plants then you need to start looking into plant by plant specifics. One may like low temps and high humidity, while the next might like high temps and high humidity. There's no one setup for every plant, that's why I 3 different indoor setups and 1 outdoor setup.
Melle wrote: So, with cover the humidity and temperature will automatically increase when I have tray with plastic cover? Even when there is no sun and the tray is just in household temperature?
Yes by enclosing it and adding a light above it, it will raise the humidity level and the temperature. I've noticed about a 5-10°F increase with using T8 bulbs above one of these plastic dome lids.
Melle wrote: What do you mean by shorter version of that lid? The lights direct/close to the seeds? Like 1/2 cm above it?
This is version of that lid that I use for germinating seeds. http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prod ... 020-tray/s
My light is about 3 inches above the cover. If you look at the second shelf down, that's my germination area. My shelf is pretty naked right now because most of my plants have been moved outside. Image

boarderlib liked this
By Melle
Thank you boarderlib for the clear explanation. I will now try 6500k for Drosera seeds.

Can I leave it on for the whole day? Or how many hours?
So much work!!! I love it!

I should have it all ready to list in June, but we[…]

Tissue Culture Project 2023

I know it has been just over a year. If you are st[…]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Did anyone else take advantage of Matt's sale last[…]

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I was thinking Intermedia. They have a tendency to[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

I sent it in the mail yesterday

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!