FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By tmann51
For various reasons, I've placed my potted VFTs in a water tray inside a small Plexiglas tank. Reason one, lady bugs kept walking into the large, viable traps and once trapped, released their acid/alkaline substance which immediately destroyed the trap. Reason two, my cat seems to think that every water tray is a new water bowl from which to drink. At 1st, I covered the top of the tank with a piece of Plexiglas but eventually I made a cover out of screen fabric which keeps the heat and humidity down. Lighting is from T5s so the screen does reduce a bit. I live in Wisconsin so temps do drop into the 20's at night, so the flytraps can't go out as yet. My main question at this point is has anyone just put water into the bottom of the tank and left out the water tray? This would let me put more potted CPs into the tank and do away with some of the cat's water dishes.
By FlyTrap Hunter
tmann51 wrote:For various reasons, I've placed my potted VFTs in a water tray inside a small Plexiglas tank. Reason one, lady bugs kept walking into the large, viable traps and once trapped, released their acid/alkaline substance which immediately destroyed the trap. Reason two, my cat seems to think that every water tray is a new water bowl from which to drink. At 1st, I covered the top of the tank with a piece of Plexiglas but eventually I made a cover out of screen fabric which keeps the heat and humidity down. Lighting is from T5s so the screen does reduce a bit. I live in Wisconsin so temps do drop into the 20's at night, so the flytraps can't go out as yet. My main question at this point is has anyone just put water into the bottom of the tank and left out the water tray? This would let me put more potted CPs into the tank and do away with some of the cat's water dishes.
If the tank doesn't leak, sure! I do that with a few terrariums but if you don't have good air circulating, you have a higher chance of getting mold and algae growing.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!