FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Darkrai283
SFLguy wrote:Cool, would you suggest getting an ooth as a new grower? Do you know where I'd be able to buy one (or a place to buy a young mantises if not)?
No, not an ooth. The reason why they have such high hatch rates/lay so many eggs in the ootheca is because they are much less 'hardy' and beginners may struggle with them.

As you're in the US, join 'Mantidforum'. They have a classifieds section there and there are quite a number of 'for sale' stuff on there.
By Darkrai283
Apologies for not having updated this mantis thread (or any others for that matter). I've been very busy with my GCSE exams but it will be over on Friday 19th May so I'm hoping to have a little break over the weekend and then post all the updates during the following week. :)

BTW, I'm still posting photo updates on my Facebook page and on Instagram so you can check out the photos I will be posting over on those sites. (Links in signature)
By SFLguy
Darkrai283 wrote:
SFLguy wrote:Cool, would you suggest getting an ooth as a new grower? Do you know where I'd be able to buy one (or a place to buy a young mantises if not)?
No, not an ooth. The reason why they have such high hatch rates/lay so many eggs in the ootheca is because they are much less 'hardy' and beginners may struggle with them.

As you're in the US, join 'Mantidforum'. They have a classifieds section there and there are quite a number of 'for sale' stuff on there.
Thanks for getting back to me lol I'd the mantid forum the one you have to pay to join?
By yellowjacket7
I thought it was illegal to keep exotic Mantises in the U.S.? But I doubt the government ever goes door to door checking for mantises. I keep Chinese mantises they are legal here. I had two females last year and they grew HUGE! like 6 inches long. I caught a male and bred him with one of the females. I got six egg sacks and now that it is spring they hatched and I'm keeping a few of the nymphs. Those are some beautiful mantises!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Darkrai283
SFLguy wrote:
Darkrai283 wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me lol I'd the mantid forum the one you have to pay to join?
Sorry for the late reply. :roll:

You don't have to pay anything to join. On the registering page, it makes it seem like you have to donate $25 or something to join but that's just optional.
yellowjacket7 wrote:I thought it was illegal to keep exotic Mantises in the U.S.? But I doubt the government ever goes door to door checking for mantises. I keep Chinese mantises they are legal here. I had two females last year and they grew HUGE! like 6 inches long. I caught a male and bred him with one of the females. I got six egg sacks and now that it is spring they hatched and I'm keeping a few of the nymphs. Those are some beautiful mantises! Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Any non-native species are illegal to keep and raise in the US. You need to get licenses but the governing body only issues them to institutions like zoos. In Florida, you can spend up to a year in jail + pay a fine of up to $1000 if you're caught trying to import insects. Nonetheless, there are thousands of keepers in the US and as you said, they don't go knocking door to door checking. :lol:

Tenodera sinensis (Chinese mantids) are not native but they are legal to keep as they were accidentally interoduced and naturalised back in the 19th century and therefore are quite widespread. :)
Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome to the forum!

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

My 'Mimis Kiss' is finally growing pitchers again[…]

Hello , I can help with the Drosera if you are sti[…]

First flower stalk on VFT

I might let the biggest flower stalk flower but c[…]

I repotted some of the vft's from the flower stal[…]

Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!