FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post suggestions or comments related to the FlytrapStore.com here

Moderator: Matt

By bannister
This post is mainly for Matt.

I know there aren't currently any Mature and Premium-sized plants available in the store. But I was curious, do you have any photos of their sizes for comparison?

I think it would actually help new shoppers make buying decisions by not only describing different sizes, but showing all the sizes (Starter, Young, Young-Adult, Mature, Premium) in one photo for comparison. An example of one cultivar in all 4 sizes would be nice to have!
Last edited by bannister on Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By parker679
Good idea but hard to realistically accomplish.

I'm sure Matt will chime in but the hard thing is that it's subjective both within a cultivar with between cultivars. You would realistically need a photo set for most every cultivar because a premium Petite Dragon is going to be much smaller than a premium DCXL. Then you have to think that realistically a premium version of any given plant falls within whatever range of sizes that Matt/Leah feel are premium. If you made a photo you would be sure to have people compare what they got to the photo and complain that there plant doesn't look to be as big as it should be because what they got was on the smaller end of the range and the photo shows a plant on the larger end of the range.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

For the most part once you get a little familiar with VFT's the sizes make sense.
By bannister
I think seeing an example of even one cultivar would be helpful. Something popular like Jaws would help as it's mostly in stock and always in demand.

I understand that cultivars are smaller/bigger than others, and those are stated accordingly in their respective product descriptions.

It would've been helpful for me to know that there is a relatively big difference between a starter plant and a young plant. Had I seen an example, I would've bought a younger plant, as a beginner.
By parker679
I can understand that.

I don't know if you've seen it but this may be helpful in the mean time: http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/plant-information it's a decent description of the sizes.

To be honest though if the small plants are giving you trouble I would start with a "young adult" or a pre potted plant. Even "young" plants can be small since like I said, it's subjective. Once you get the hang of things it gets easier. There really is no difference between the requirements of the different sizes/cultivars, smaller plants are just less tolerant to errors since they will dry out much faster.
parker679, parker679 liked this
By Matt
bannister wrote:It would've been helpful for me to know that there is a relatively big difference between a starter plant and a young plant.
The sizing we use is intentionally vague and somewhat subjective because it's impossible to ship the same exact sized plants all the time. For example, say we have two young DC XL flytraps. What are the chances that both are exactly the same size? Pretty much nil. One might be a "large" young-sized plant and the other might be on the "smaller" side of a young-sized plant, but still obviously larger than a starter plant. We do our best to make sure that plants are appropriately sized and often include extras with the smaller-sized flytraps we ship.

As for mature and premium sized plant, basically everything you see in my mother pots in the photos in this thread would be considered mature or premium, including the pot of Jaws flytraps:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/lots- ... ml#p201637
parker679 wrote:To be honest though if the small plants are giving you trouble I would start with a "young adult" or a pre potted plant. Even "young" plants can be small since like I said, it's subjective. Once you get the hang of things it gets easier. There really is no difference between the requirements of the different sizes/cultivars, smaller plants are just less tolerant to errors since they will dry out much faster.
This is great advice. Flytraps, no matter what size they are, have the same exact care requirements. It's just that the smaller ones have less room for error. When I acquire new flytraps, I almost always end up getting some teeny tiny plant. In Europe, people normally distribute extremely tiny divisions and we source many of our plants from Europe these days. They all grow into large plants eventually :)
By bannister
Matt wrote:
bannister wrote:It would've been helpful for me to know that there is a relatively big difference between a starter plant and a young plant.
The sizing we use is intentionally vague and somewhat subjective because it's impossible to ship the same exact sized plants all the time. For example, say we have two young DC XL flytraps. What are the chances that both are exactly the same size? Pretty much nil. One might be a "large" young-sized plant and the other might be on the "smaller" side of a young-sized plant, but still obviously larger than a starter plant. We do our best to make sure that plants are appropriately sized and often include extras with the smaller-sized flytraps we ship.
Very well. I understand from a business perspective. I do appreciate the extras you folks send. It certainly helps with the starter plants!
By Nick
I just received some "starter" plants from Matt and I'd say the description was fitting. Big enough to show clear traits of the cultivar and be able to handle some stress, but not quite enough that you should let it flower.
By Eric
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p199818

Here's a mature Jaws that I bought a month or so ago.
By bannister
Eric wrote:http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post1 ... ml#p199818

Here's a mature Jaws that I bought a month or so ago.
Thanks for that. Just wanted to see how much bigger one could get if the option were available.

Thank you! Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk […]

Darkened leaves

It is a combination of too much water, and also […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

That’s a really good option to have thank[…]

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

I'm assuming you mean bonus Nepenthes? Order rece[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!