FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Nickrober
I went to Lowe's and found some new VFT's. It looks pretty healthy. They had some larger ones but I wanted one of the smaller ones to watch it grow. This was the healthiest one I could find, all the others had a little bit of black on them and a few were all black with no green.
0718092200.jpg
0718092200.jpg (171.73 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
I'm sure you've all seen those big clear "terrariums" that they come in. I decided to cut it so I can put it under the cup the fly trap is planted in so I can water from the bottom.

It looks like it is planted in pure long fiber sphagnum moss. I'm afraid to repot right now because it is probably in shock from being shipped and on store shelves for who knows how long. Think it would be ok to repot in peat/perlite/sand now or should I wait?

I also bought a light from Walmart which simulates the full spectrum of sunlight. I don't know anything about grow lights, but this things looks like it will stimulate some growth. On the light it says it is "Color Temp 6500K", whatever that means, think it will work well with the VFT?
By Carolyn
Woowwwww!! Looks great! But don't get down if it goes though shock trying to adapt to its new home. :roll: I'm sure it'll do great! It looks fantastic too!

Carolyn
By Jutty_Boy
Well, the deal from lowes is that is is planted in grounded sphagnum peat moss covered by long fibered sphagnum peat moss. The plant you have is definately alright, but was not recieveing enough light and thats why the leaves seem very skinny. That's alright though because they will grow better since you got that light.
By Nickrober
Carolyn wrote:Woowwwww!! Looks great! But don't get down if it goes though shock trying to adapt to its new home. :roll: I'm sure it'll do great! It looks fantastic too!

Carolyn
Thanks. Hopefully it won't get too much shock!
By hackerberry
Nice VFT! Just let it stay on the pot and try flooding the pot to clean the medium just in case someone fertilized it. With regards with your light, 6500K [Daylight Color Temp.] is the sun spectrum at noon. This is the recommended spectrum for grow lights!

hb
By Adam
Make sure to let the tray dry out between full flushings.
By Caleboy 123
Nice, it's pretty hard to find a healthy CP at Lowes.

I sent it in the mail yesterday

CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

I have a Mars Hydro and 2 Vivosun 200W lights. The[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!