FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_M
few weeks ago one of my dionaeas was flowering and i cut the stalk and now i have these:

and heres my other trap:

look closely

there seems to be a whole new trap sprouting from beneath

i wouldnt call this the weird part. what makes me find it weird is that its shape and thickness is totally different

maybe its just because its a child plant, i dunno, but i was wondering if it is possible that a different variety could have sprouted out of nowhere?

still, even if it is so or even if it isnt, how can i get that trap out of that pot and repot it in another one somehow, without damaging that and the other bigger plant?
By kevinqwe
haha looks like a mutation.
i dont think it would be a good idea to divide and repot every time you see sprouts. just leave them alone for a few years. when it is big and strong then divide.

also, how is your flowerstalk doing?
By Steve_M
the pot is too small to even fit the traps of the main plant, let alone support another plant

ill repot in a few months for sure mainly because of the size of the main plant, i just hope there wont be tangled or messed up roots or whatever if i let them together for a while

it would be fscking awesome if some other kind of cultivar comes up from that sprout :pPP

the flowerstalk has been there for about 3 weeks, i didnt really count seriously
all i care about is that its still alive
i keep watering it normally, and if it strikes good, if not i dont really mind

i would generally expect it to strike a bit faster but whatever, the "specs" say it takes 4-6 weeks then so be it, im just letting it be

fcors if you have any recommendations, shoot
By Adam
if you do repot, don't bother cleaning off the old soil. Just take the whole thing and put it in a bigger pot with extra soil below and around. This way you won't disturb the roots. I do this from time to time to certain plants and they don't miss a beat in growing.
By linton
After flowering (or producing a partial flower stalk) my Dionaea will often produce side shoots around the main plant - these will eventually grow into mature plants that you will be able to divide in a few years time. Don't be surprised if you get a few more coming up around the parent plant - in my experience, 3 or even 4 new side shoots is not uncommon after flowering or removal of the flower stalk.
Happy growing.
Linton.
By Adam
Linton,

That's exactly what happened to my first vft. I have about 10 of them because I let it flower. After flowering, it started making multiple growth points. They should all be full grown size by next summer.
CalCarn Hitchhiker

I agree with Shadow, it is too early to tell. How[…]

It isn't fully sealed, so it shouldn't be digestin[…]

So what would be the signs that I should not be us[…]

...maybe look at trading the VFT for a sundew. M[…]

Input on Neps placement

My traps and sundews do much better once they get[…]

SASE sent for April and May requests. Thanks Chef![…]

I have a Mars Hydro and 2 Vivosun 200W lights. The[…]

The above responses are OK, but for the faint of[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!