FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Andrew
Well, as some of you may know, I used to grow VFT's. I loved growing them, watching them, and seeing what direction the plant would grow in; Like size, leaves, and such. Little did I know, I was victim to some sort of insect, which I've still not figured out what it was to this date. My plants died, I packaged up my grow lights, and brought everything down to the basement, for long term storage. I decided that I wanted something that wouldnt die on me, so, photography it was. I paid up the cash, got me a Micro Four Thirds Panasonic DMC-GF3. All I've got is the 14mm pancake that comes with the lens, but I'm thinking of getting some extension tubes and a 45-200mm lens. Here is the very first photo I took.

After I get a part time job, I'm probably going to end up forking out the cash to start VFT's again. I loved those plants, can't believe I killed em'. :oops:

Sidenote: Well, today in my Biology 11 class, my teacher brought up the subject of Venus Fly Traps. She told the class that they required bugs to live, or else they would die. She claimed photosynthesis wasn't enough for them, and that they had to make up for the lack of nutrients. I had to fight back the will to say something. :D (Unless I'm sadly mistaken and she was right :P )
By Kbud
I think she was partially right, though you should have said something! Congrats on your new hobby and I hope you get back into VFTs someday!
By plantman1001
Nice pic !

I think that your teacher is probably wrong .
Bugs are like fertilizer to the plants.
photosynthesis on the other hand gives the plant the energy needed to make sugar for the plants grow.

My point is, I think that sunlight is more necessary than bugs and that bugs give the plants added fertilizer.

BUT I may be wrong. :D
Hello again from Florida

Welcome

Weird Pitchers, advice?

the black absorbs the full spectrum of light makin[…]

Two issues. The only filiformis var Floridana we h[…]

primaflora likes to be almost wet. I keep it in sh[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1671. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1670. I'll PM[…]

Hey everyone! I'm back on my hunt to look for a d[…]

New cultivar potential?

For its stout leaves and proportionately large t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!