FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By quatchi
For those of you living in temperate zones and want easy plants to take care of, consider looking into buying temperate pings. Last year I bought P. grandiflora ssp rosea and P corsica, and both have just gone dormant after a strong season. Each individual plant has produced at least 20 gemmae, and look really healthy going into dormancy. These are some of the easier species to take care of, but if you live in temperate zones, they should all be really easy. Temperate pings not only propagate really easily, they also can have really nice flowers, depending on your taste (I obviously like them).If you can't get a hold of plants, now's a great time to get seeds and sow them just before fall and winter so they can get a good stratification. If you grow temperate pings, feel free to post your experiences with them and how you prefer to grow them. Has anyone ever tried them under lights?

Once the leaves have completely died back, I'll dig up a couple of hibernacula and post pics of all the gemmae they've produced.
By Grey
Pinguicula have many subgroups (such as tropical, temperate and other scientific names) that vary depending on dormancy and growth habits as well as natural habitats. I like to use the three group classification system: Warm Temperate, Cold Temperate and Mexican as this makes it a touch easier (in my opinion) to classify pinguicula and get a general understanding of each group's requirements.

Temperate pings are divided into two groups: warm and cold. Warm temperate pinguicula are from warm regions, some of which have a dormancy but are generally short lived, the pinguicula quatchi talks about are cold temperate pinguicula and therefore not Mexican. Mexican pinguicula require a dry dormancy and cold temperate require a wet dormancy.

I have kept P. Grandiflora in the past and had great success with it however temperatures soared and I lost the plant due to the heat. I will be getting another in the future and will look to keeping it outside. The UK is not a bad place to keep cold temperate pinguicula (some species originate from the UK & Ireland) as long as you can keep them cool in the summer.

They are beautiful plants and very easy to propagate via the gammae they produce come spring, I thoroughly look forward to purchasing more and having a go at growing them again. They are a little tougher to cultivate (in my experience) than mexican and warm temperate pinguicula species due to their heat intolerance but are otherwise just as enjoyable as any other carnivorous plant.
By butterwortguy
I have a grandiflora that produced about 10 gemmae and some vulgaris bicolor in strat.
CalCarn Hitchhiker

Hey all, I unboxed my Dionaea m. Ginormous from Ca[…]

The "Bisnick" mini bog

Is this normal?

Follow-up on the ventratas. I did some research on[…]

I’m a noob, so the only info I can offer you[…]

Hello from New England

Welcome from a fellow noob!

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome forum a fellow noob!

Trying My Hand With TC

So I am more of the type that learns by doing rath[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!