FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Nats
Okay, when I saw this thread and the pics, I nearly fell out of my chair when he said this was grown under
a Sunshine Systems Glowpanel 45 grow light!!
Take a look at the long leaves, no brown spots, no dead leaves, full color, large traps!!

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/jaws- ... 11831.html

Now, take my poor plants, baking in a 100F greenhouse, having to mist 3 times a day, leaves drooping
and turning black one right after the other. And I have 2 fans in the greenhouse, and keep it covered with
a white sheer cloth to keep the temps under 120F.

Whats wrong with this picture???

Filtered light in a greenhouse is not the same as having a plant in the direct sun, so, my plants cant be
getting the radiation from the sun they need because it is simply too hot to fully expose them.
When the temps go down a bit, out come the plants to take advantage of some brief sun.

In my acclimation process, I am very careful to gradualy introduce the sun. An hour a day, then 2 hours a day,
moving to the East morning sun, moving to the South windowsill, moving..moving....moving....

So here's this guy, growing a wonderfull pot of FT's in his home and the plant is way healthier then any in
my greenhouse.

I have been very skepticle of those LED grow lights that boast the exact right wavelenght plants need.
But now I see the proof that it does work (at least this model)!!

Why am I not doing this? Why arent more growers doing it?
Is there a catch?
I know the light needs to be close to the plant (about 12'') and it does not cover a very large area.

Also, even on a timer, how do you induce and control dormancy?

Anyway, after seeing that post, I am taking this seriously and may just buy one!! :D
By jamez
Well you should have never let them get that hot. Nothing wrong with that picture. As long as they're growing fine. His don't have brown spots because they weren't baked. Plants outside will be hardier. The plants I grow inside don't nearly produce as big traps, and divisions as the ones I have outside. If you do really want one, go to acceshydroponic.com and brows their LED lights. They are cheaper too.
By dmagnan
I'm still not sure why you're using the greenhouse Nats?
Here's the weather averages for your city:
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ ... e&IATA=DCA
And for mine:
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Displ ... e&IATA=IAH
It's a little hotter here, and I grow my plants outside year round no problem. If your greenhouse is raising the temperatures to 120*, then it seems like the greenhouse is the problem.
Now, bear in mind, I just stick my new plants right out in the sun, and depending on how much sun they got before they take longer or shorter to adjust. Worst case scenario 20% of the total plant turns black, and the first new trap (starting from nothing) isn't fully developed for 2.5 weeks. But every new leaf from then on grows fine, and they grow at the normal rate. Usually the more they lose at first the faster they grow once they get started again, presumably because they reclaim all the nutrients from the lost leaves. How long are you giving your plants to actually adjust?
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!