FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By jkochuni
Ok, I think my flower stalks are starting to strike after four weeks. I was looking at them today and my Sawtooth, Dingley Giant and Yellow have the following red bumps growing on the end of the stalks. Sorry for the crappy photos but they were the best I could do with the fogged up containers. Please let me know if you think they are calluses...

By jkochuni
Matt wrote:Could be Jason. I can't say for sure. I've had the end of my flower stalks turn red like that before, but they didn't end up taking. But it does look like callus. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!
Man I hope so...the ends are not only red, but if you look closely they are forming little red bumps. How long did it take for your calluses to develop on your cup trap?
Last edited by jkochuni on Sun May 17, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
Callus formed on my 'Cupped Trap' leaf after about 5 or 6 weeks and then QUICKLY turned to forming leaves. I've had callus form on the ends of some of my flower stalks like that and then basically stay the same for another 6 weeks...frustrating!
By jkochuni
Matt wrote:I've had callus form on the ends of some of my flower stalks like that and then basically stay the same for another 6 weeks...frustrating!
I hope that is not the case...Just so you know, all the flower stalks that I believe are forming calluses came from the middle sections of the stalks. if they do end up striking this might confirm what you heard from your friend in Australia. The sections containing the end of the flower are showing no signs of calluses.
By Matt
jkochuni wrote:Just so you know, all the flower stalks that I believe are forming calluses came from the middle sections of the stalks.
I'm having trouble understanding what part that is exactly. Is it the part between the main stalk and the flower? Or is it just a piece of the main stalk?

This is the part I think the guy from Australia was referring to:
flower_part.jpg
flower_part.jpg (7.61 KiB) Viewed 5165 times
By jkochuni
Actually that is not the section I was referring to. I actually cut my flower stalk off right before it bloomed when it was about five/six inches in height. I divided the main stalk in three sections, and the sections I believe are showing calluses are forming on the piece from the middle section of the main stalk.

Since putting the stalks in TC some of them have bloomed, and I will try replating the section you have pictured to see if I can get a strike on that.
Last edited by jkochuni on Sun May 17, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Matt
jkochuni wrote:Since putting the stalks in TC some of them have bloomed, and I will try replating the section you have pictured to see if I can get a strike on that.
Some of mine did the same thing (bloomed in TC). I have cut up the blooms and put them into new cultures. I'm waiting to see what happens. It looked like there was some callus forming on some of them before I put them into their own cultures. I only put them into their own cultures a few days ago, so I can't make any reports yet.

Unfortunately, all of the recent flower stalks I've done, I've snipped off the bloom portion before putting them into TC, so I don't have that part to experiment with on them.
By jkochuni
Matt- I'll cut these up this week, and give them a try...

I'm also going to start keeping my VFT specimens that I use for TC in a domed tray to help reduce contamination while they are developing leaves/stalks which I will be using for TC.
By Adam
It would be cool to see what would happen if you could pollinate the bloomed stalks in TC...

Thank you!

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

Can any of you who live far away from the equator […]

Hi from FNQ.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi from MD!

Welcome to the forum!

Input on Neps placement

That sounds perfect. I've got to adjust my plants […]

While what is said above is true, I have a mini […]

Follow-up to my experiment done last fall. The […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

Not the actual plant. Just a pic of what Matt has.[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!