FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By nicolasanissimov
I have me an adult Pinguicula moctezumae that i purchased from a private grower when it was just a wee little baby, and now its an adult, up to this point i've been cutting of the flowers as so not to direct energy away from leaf growth.

But now i want to re-produce it so i let it grow its flower. a long time ago i purchased a plant growing kit that has been sitting in my basement and now i decided i want to use it to grow a couple of there, the kit is just a large tray with little holes for you to put soil and plant seeds in.

But here is my question,
What ways can i re-produce Pinguicula moctezumae?
Do they have Multiple growth points?
Can i do leaf pulling?
Can i do Flower Stalk Re-production?

http://i55.tinypic.com/34i5qio.jpg <------ Does it look healthy?
By dantt99
nicolasanissimov wrote:What ways can i re-produce Pinguicula moctezumae?
Do they have Multiple growth points?
Can i do leaf pulling?
Can i do Flower Stalk Re-production?
The best way to propagate most pings is by leaf pulling. Just take a leaf off (with a chunk of rhizome) and place it next to the plant, and there is a good chance that it will strike and root and then grow into a new plant.
You can also let it flower, and get seeds from it. You can probably also cut the flower stalk and plant it, like VFT flowers, probably. As you can tell, I'm not a ping expert, and I'm not positive that you can take multiple growth points (divisions).
I am sure about the leaf pullings :D
Your ping looks very nice! It looks beautiful :D
By jht-union
Also, i have read in many sources that the best time to take leaf pullings is when they are in their succulent stage instead of their carnivirous stage, the chances of getting seedlings will be greater if you wait for it to be in succulent stage, meaning in winter for mexican pinguiculas like moctezumae, it is weird that your's look exactly like mine, except mine looks like it is in carnivirous stage, while yours looks like it is in the succulent stage, but i might be wrong. It looks really nice, and mine is throwing a flower stalk as well! :)
By nicolasanissimov
jht-union wrote:Also, i have read in many sources that the best time to take leaf pullings is when they are in their succulent stage instead of their carnivirous stage, the chances of getting seedlings will be greater if you wait for it to be in succulent stage, meaning in winter for mexican pinguiculas like moctezumae, it is weird that your's look exactly like mine, except mine looks like it is in carnivirous stage, while yours looks like it is in the succulent stage, but i might be wrong. It looks really nice, and mine is throwing a flower stalk as well! :)
Can you post a pic of yours? I didn't know it went through diffrent stages, i just kept it near the kitchen window to catch pesky fruit flies, i only pictured my largest one, you can slightly see in the picture that there is another pot right next to this one on the right.
By jamez
Cutting of the flowers is on stressful to some plants. You could have had seeds (if it seeds) from that plant however many times you cut it. IME, Pinguicula, Drosera, Sarracenia, and Utricularia you don't have to cut the flowers on. With Pinguicula you can just cut a leaf and plantlets will grow everywhere on them (with long leafed species, with short leaved they start at the base). Some plants just grow faster than others. Before I changed my growing conditions (set all my plants back with their traps for 2" to around 1-1.5"), I had seed grown flytraps that were twice the size as their siblings.
By jamez
1) There is no pount of cutting the flowers off. It doesn't affect Pinguicula and if it does, you can't even tell. You will still see new leaves growing.
2)Yes
jamez liked this
By nicolasanissimov
jamez wrote:1) There is no pount of cutting the flowers off. It doesn't affect Pinguicula and if it does, you can't even tell. You will still see new leaves growing.
2)Yes
#2, so after i cut off the leaves i just stick them upright into some soil and they'll grow? Do they need to be babies?
By Grey
That is a lovely looking pinguicula you have there! Although I do not own a Pinguicula Moctezumae, in my experience I have found gently removing a leaf from the plant and placing it on top of the soil beside the adult plant is all I need to do to get plantlets (I remove a leaf by gently peeling it away from the rosette). It takes a few weeks but has worked so many times for me (mostly by accident, as well!). As long as the leaf is healthy you should have few problems. I have had more success with succulent leaves (formed during winter) than carnivorous ones (formed during the growing seasons) however I believe both have a chance of success.

Pinguicula do not seem to be affected by flowering like venus fly traps (I currently have at least six flower stalks for example and am still seeing plenty of robust, new growth) so in future you do not need to feel like you have to cut the stalk - that said it can slow growth down, but it depends on the plant's overall health. Pinguicula are also easy to pollinate once you develop a technique. Simply wait 1 - 2 days after the flower has bloomed, get a cocktail stick (or tooth pick) and gently rub it under the lip of the flower to get pollen then shimmy it around inside the flower to distribute it - it is easier when you have two flowers blooming at once, mind you.

I do believe most pinguicula can reproduce by forming split rosettes (via dividing). I am unsure if this is the case for P. Motezumae but it would not surprise me.
By jht-union
nicolasanissimov wrote:Can you post a pic of yours? I didn't know it went through diffrent stages, i just kept it near the kitchen window to catch pesky fruit flies, i only pictured my largest one, you can slightly see in the picture that there is another pot right next to this one on the right.
Here's a picture of it, do you think you can take a macro pic of it, i can't really tell if it is in the carnivorous stage or succulent stage, you are aware of mexican pinguiculas going dormant right? it is not a dormant stage of cold temperatures, but instead a dry and little temp decrease(i suggest you research a bit about moctezumae climate, where does it grow..etc)
Pics:

Here's how it should look if it is in the carnivorous stage:

Let me know if you need any more help! :)
By Matt
jamez wrote:1) There is no pount of cutting the flowers off. It doesn't affect Pinguicula
That's not true. Any time a plant flowers, it takes energy to do so. Cutting the flowers off will save the plant that energy and it will be able to use it in other ways.
By jht-union
Matt wrote:jamez wrote:
1) There is no pount of cutting the flowers off. It doesn't affect Pinguicula
That's not true. Any time a plant flowers, it takes energy to do so. Cutting the flowers off will save the plant that energy and it will be able to use it in other ways.
I agree with Matt, and a very good example is, look at my pic of the moctezumae that is flowering, you will see the leaf is shorter than the othe ones, whenever a plant throws a flower, it spends energy making sure it does flowers, therefore taking energy to produce the traps, that's why whenever plants are flowering, and a good example, VFT's, the traps and the leaf are larger once it ends up flowering.
By nicolasanissimov
Could it have been induced into Dormancy? I always keep the house cool in the winter with my Air Condition, and it only gets about two hours of light near my window, Could it have been fooled to think its winter and went into dormancy?
1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Intermedia

I may have made a mistake, but I did something. S[…]

SASE send. Thank you. Sent from my SM-S918U1 usi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!