FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By sekler
Hey guys,

Im gonna get my first pings ever next week and just happened to buy a bag of soil intended for use with cactii. Its is high xraining with perlite, some peat and also sand. It seems to me like it would be perfect to use with pings since their roots are small and sensitive? Im not sure if it will be too draining but ive seen pings growing on gravel on here! They will be mexican species.

What do you think ?
By victor
That might be fine. but it is vital that you make sure there's no added fertilizers or plant food.
By sekler
thanks Victor,

that's exactly what I verify the first thing every time I get soil ingredients for my CPs ;)
It's completely natural stuff mixed together, no fertilizers.
By David F
Are pings resistang to minerals, sands for cactii generally contain a good amount of minerals.
By Grey
As long as there are no minerals or added fertilizers (a touch of calcium probably wouldn't do any harm) you shouldn't have too many problems. I use a high draining mixture for my Pings as they are prone to root rot but if you find the mixture drains too quickly you can add a touch of extra peat, adding extra peat also helps keep the plants warm.

Now, not having used cacti soil before I can't say exactly what it will contain. The sand could be something nefarious though so I'd be 100% certain you know what kind of sand it is before trying it. If you can get a different soil mixutre (in case you have problems) as a back up that would be good. You could even try planting your Pinguicula in two different soils and see which one grows faster, healthier etc. If you do try this, would you kindly let us know? I'm always on the look out for alternative soils that are locally available.

Good luck with your Pinguicula and I hope the soil is all right for them!
By sekler
Thanks guys for the replies.

Grey, unfortunately I have bad news for the soil. It's from the company CIL Gro and I tested it for TDS yesterday....421 PPM
Stay away !

I'll stick to my personal mixes with inert ingredients ;)
sekler liked this
By linton
I use store bought 'African Violet' potting mix for all of my Pings. This mix DOES have slow release fertilisers incorporated into it and actually works very well. I was a bit hesitant to try it at first, but a friend assured me that it works just fine.

Once the potting mix is placed into the pot it is rinsed through until the water coming from the drainage holes at the bottom of the pot runs clear, then the plants are nestled into the surface of the potting mix. Growth resumes quickly. They grow well here even when watered with our tapwater which has a TDS of 350, but flushing occasionally with rainwater is required to prevent toxic mineral buildup in the soil.

They will accept fertiliser applied foliarly too, but don't spray the flowers or they will be damaged.

Try it - you may be pleasantly surprised!
linton, linton liked this
By sekler
wow, great advice Linton.

What's the brand exactly though ? I believe the fertilizer amount if any can vary from one brand to the other...I've seen a few mixes available around.

I have a many cape sundew varieties, about 6 pingu[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Hello, heya, howdy. Enjoy the forums! :D

Elionwyr requests drosera intermedia. Ty!

Intheswamp requests the pack of D. capensis "[…]

New donation

I'd like to thank thepitchergrower for his latest […]

1633 expired and canceled

This request has expired and been canceled, seeds […]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

NASC Auction

Moderators please remove if not allowed. . Terraf[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!