FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Mannex
My flytraps weren't doing too well, each leaf they put out was smaller and more stunted than the last. I looked around in the soil and there were little bb capsules of osmocote in the peat moss. The bag says "Ingredients: Sphagnum Peat Moss", but there's osmocote in there for sure. Could the fertilizer have been hurting my plants?

By Newbee
I think the osmocote would be hurting your flytrap because the roots of the flytrap are very sensitive to fertilizers.So if the roots of your flytrap are getting stressed out from the osmocote then that could be the reason why your leafs are growing smaller and getting stunted.I would suggest trying to find a diffrent Spaghnum peat mix to replant your flytrap in.If you live near a plant nursery you can find bags of spaghnum peat moss that dont have any active fertilizers in them.
By Mannex
This is the exact bag I have.

I'm ticked because they just added in a little osmocote in without mentioning anywhere on the bag, thinking it wouldn't be a problem for anyone. I already repotted using clean peat moss and we'll see if it fixes it.
Last edited by Mannex on Sun May 15, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Mannex
3-day update:

Wow my plant is completely back to normal and well on it's way to turning into the monster it was bred to be. It's a B52 and I almost was out a $25 dollar plant because Schultz thought it was doing me a favor by adding osmocote. Check your soil folks!

Since these are on the Endangered Species list is […]

Counting to infinity.

2499!!!

New donation, new location

Screenshot_20240308_162638_Samsung Internet.jpg […]

I love seeing collections of carnivorous plants […]

So you can link those two like the timer that ca[…]

Lyra request D. binata "Marston Dragon" […]

Garden_Nymph request Dionaea muscipula "Megat[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work t[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!