FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By PalmettoLand
Well, obviously, there are a lot of varying opinions on this topic and I guess I will be no different.
I also advocate, generally, in cutting the flower stalk for most growers. However, I really dislike being pinned to one thing or another. I believe people should have options. I did go back and read your post and the replies a few times so that I made sure I grasped your main point(s) as best I could and you focus on "nipping it in the bud."

As I general rule I think most hobbyist home growers are looking to see big pretty traps that catch prey. It has been my experience that by cutting the flower stalk the plant sends a message to stop focusing on trying to produce seeds and start focusing on producing more leaves and traps. And while I have never experienced a mold issue on the cut stalk I have noticed that if the stalk gets cut to low to the base, my plants often try to send up another stalk. So I cut mine (and recommend to others) to cut it about an inch high from the base. This usually stops that from occurring. And when I cut the stalk I am trying to send a signal to stop focusing on it. If I just snip off the bud and it continues to try to push up the stalk then it didn't do the desired effect.

I have also observed that by letting the plant grow the flower stalk it greatly sets the plant back compared to others right beside it that I cut the stalk. I don't advocate that the plant is going to die, but there is a clear cause and effect when letting a stalk grow or not and the vibrance of the plant.

Now, for the hobbyist grower that wants to see the flowers and/or maybe try to harvest some seeds I completely support the idea of giving it a try with a clear understanding that the plant is not mainly focused on developing traps during this period. Again, I like "choices." But this diverges from your main point. (Prevent it from flowering, but don't cut the stalk.)

Your thoughts are noted, and some interesting observations that I would like to keep an eye out for in the future. You also make some solid points on how some advocate for cutting the stalk for the "wrong reasons." Education is good, and for now I think I will continue to advocate for choices, but in most cases cutting the stalk about an inch from the base is a good practice for the bulk of our new growers.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By Intheswamp
PalmettoLand wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:06 am Well, obviously, there are a lot of varying opinions on this topic and I guess I will be no different.
I also advocate, generally, in cutting the flower stalk for most growers. However, I really dislike being pinned to one thing or another. I believe people should have options. I did go back and read your post and the replies a few times so that I made sure I grasped your main point(s) as best I could and you focus on "nipping it in the bud."
<SNIP>
Uh,you do know that the last post in the thread is like...nine years old that you're responding to, don't you? I don't even know if this guy is around anymore. But, an interesting conversation. ;)
By optique
Intheswamp wrote:Uh,you do know that the last post in the thread is like...nine years old
well its alive now... and i am going to hijack it! i ordered a 3D printed adapter to mount big 120mm fans to my video card. So cool and quiet, such air flow!
By PalmettoLand
[/quote]
Uh,you do know that the last post in the thread is like...nine years old that you're responding to, don't you? I don't even know if this guy is around anymore. But, an interesting conversation. ;)
[/quote]

Nope. I didn't notice. I had someone ask me my opinion about this thread and while reading (not noting dates haha) I decided to have my own response.
By DragonsEye
PalmettoLand wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:06 am. And while I have never experienced a mold issue on the cut stalk I have noticed that if the stalk gets cut to low to the base, my plants often try to send up another stalk. So I cut mine (and recommend to others) to cut it about an inch high from the base. This usually stops that from occurring.
Well, since the pot has already been stirred up a little bit…
There a reason for this. There are various growth hormones, known as auxins, that plants produce. These auxins, in the case of flower stock, travel all the way from the base of the plant up to the tip of the flower stock, causing it to elongate grow and eventually flower. If you cut the flower stock, leaving an inch or two of the stock present, then the auxins will still rise up the stem, but they can’t do anything as you have removed the apical meristem — the growing point of the stem. If one cuts the stem too short, the auxins don’t have much distance to travel before hitting the “dead end “. As a result, there is a “backwash “, so to speak, with the auxins now triggering dormant nodes in the upper area of the plant.

So ends your botany lecture for today. :ugeek:
Panman, andynorth, Gary liked this
Better-Gro LFSM

I show Lowes carrying both, although I had not s[…]

Rosemary Oil Miticide

The Rasta Bob's link doesn't work. I may have to […]

You can pay shipping from Lowes and still get it f[…]

Garden_Nymph Requests - Cancelled

Got it. TY. I will repost this Wed. I wasnt sure. […]

Oh, I know flavas are large, given the photos of t[…]

Hello all, I am looking to rapidly expand my drose[…]

No, you'll need to come back in May to make a requ[…]

in the mailbox. https://i.imgur.com/AkF0VlP.jpeg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!