FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By davinstewart
I'm looking to make a presentation quality light for a single venus flytrap and was wondering if anyone else had attempted this in the past.

Specifically, I'm looking for something that could provide a DLI of 20+ for a single plant. A spotlight or ring type of configuration. Something that would look good and I could put on my desk at work, you know?

Amazon sells a bunch of "plant lights" but I strongly suspect that they're too dim to grow vfts properly. Things like ...

LORDEM Full Spectrum LED Grow Light, Height Adjustable Growing Lamp with Auto On/Off Timer 4/8/12H, 4 Dimmable Brightness, Ideal for Small Indoor Plants Pack of 2

Juhefa Grow Light for Indoor Plants Growing, 6000K Full Spectrum Gooseneck Plant Lamp for Seedings Succulents Small Plants, Auto On/Off Timing & 5 Dimming, 1-PACK

... but I strongly suspect those lights can't pump out 20 DLI.

Has anyone tried to do this and if so, what were your experiences?
By davinstewart
Thanks Panman. I appreciate the response. You didn't take any readings from it by any chance, did you? Was it bright enough to bring out full coloration on vfts?
By Panman
I didn't. I ran it pretty close to the plants, about 6 inches.

Edit: I looked back at an old post. It may not be the aesthetic you are looking for.
davinstewart liked this
By htbm
I have this ring light I got for a ping, which I suspect is only barely adequate for the ping with it lowered as close as possible: Uoiuxc Height Adjustable Full Spectrum Growing Lamp with Pedestal. It's growing/surviving and recovering from being nearly killed by direct sun, but it's quite green when it's expected to be more pale with some lavendar margins.

That has fewer LEDs than the ring light you linked to, so maybe that would be better for the ping, but I'd have my doubts for a VFT that wants full direct sun. Maybe just adequate, though; I'm far from an expert. I'm looking for a better option for the ping and something for ~1/2 sq. foot of assorted [mostly drosera and sarracenia] seedlings, myself.
By Intheswamp
Dan V wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:03 am the SANSI 32W Grow Light Bulb has a 380 ppfd at 1 ft. and might fit a nice fixture.
I was thinking along the same lines *but* I think that one has a blurple color to it, doesn't it. The color might not be "the look" needed. The same bulb shape can be found in floodlight bulbs. Check the color temperature and try to get one around 5000k. Add a nice hooded fixture that the bulb will fit into and you're set. Of course, I do things with haywire and baling twine, too, so this might not be what you're looking for. :mrgreen:
Example Bulb on Amazon
By Dan V
The description for the Sansi 32W reads; 4000K DAYLIGHT, full spectrum, Color rendering index Ra is close to 100, 5-year warranty. The 380 ppfd is what grabbed my attention since a DLI of 20+ was required.
By Intheswamp
Dang, I thought they were more blurple colored. I went and looked at sho'nuff, they're a more off-white color temp! Thanks for setting me straight!!! :D One thing that I have heard from users is that the bulb is heavy, so I wouldn't use like a goose neck lamp that has flex to it...something rigid would be more secure (don't want it bending down onto the flytrap! :o ). Also, a deep hood would be good as one review mentioned a glare (light leak?) coming out from the edge of the bulb where the lens meets the reflector.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!