FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_M
sup all, im new here(the steve that asked about sufficient light in the light blog entry) i bought two dionaeas and one sarracenia scarlet belle a month or two ago, my sarracenia was starting to rot for some reason (check pitcher plants thread), but my traps are doing fine.

(i hope there is no problem that im linking them from facebook)

if you look closely at the top right of the second picture you will see that one of the traps has cut itself ROOOFL emo flytrap, the leaf protruded into it and it has slightly ripped it, but its no matter its still growing normally. its one of the healthiest traps of both plants.

and although this is embarrasing, i have to ask, which variety are they? i cant tell at all ://
By Steve_D
That growing medium looks awfully wet and soggy to me. With less light, less wet would be better in my opinion. In fact, moist is usually better than wet with Venus Flytraps.
By Matt
Nice looking flytraps! As Steve said, the growing medium looks a little wet, but your plants look really healthy.
Steve_M wrote:and although this is embarrasing, i have to ask, which variety are they? i cant tell at all ://
If they weren't labeled when you got them, then they are typical Venus flytraps. The world of VFT cultivars is so messy between people buying plants and calling them one thing and other people circulating plants that they've named just to make money. If you ever buy an unlabeled plant, in my opinion, it should never have a label put on it. This will prevent lots of confusion and plants circulating under cultivar names that they are not.
By grant
Welcome to the forum. This is the best site to really learn about fly traps, and various other Carnivorous Plants. Matt, Steve and many other growers will get you steered in the right direction.

Nice start though :D
By WORMSS
:) love new pics :)
By kevinqwe
nice plants, did you plant the flowerstalks you cut off?
By Steve_M
i didnt cut any off ://// it was like that when i got the plant, havent seen a flower yet

although i am quite impatient & waiting for one asap, just out of curiosity and stuff unno never seen one
By Redneck_Angel
Lol, if there's one thing I've had to learn since becomming addicted to these little plants, it's patience.

Good luck with your plants Steve! There's a lot to learn about them even if you don't see them flowering right away :D
By grant
Steve_M wrote:i didnt cut any off ://// it was like that when i got the plant, havent seen a flower yet

although i am quite impatient & waiting for one asap, just out of curiosity and stuff unno never seen one
A cool thing about flower stalks is that you can let them grow to a few inches, then cut them and plant them in the ground. And they will grow new plants 8-)
By lemonlily
Those are really nice looking traps there!
By Steve_M

is this a flower stalk? if so, when do i cut it? how do i plant it(ie how deep, vertically, horizontally etc)? what soil is preferred?
By Carl
Steve_M wrote:is this a flower stalk?
Hi Steve, if your talking about the stem in the middle with what looks like an arrowhead then yes this is a flower stalk.
Steve_M wrote:if so, when do i cut it?
You can cut it know, I find it's best planting it in the same pot with the parent plant this way you will know which plant it came from.
Steve_M wrote:(ie how deep, vertically, horizontally etc)? what soil is preferred?
Just push it in to the peat vertically about 1cm should be ok

Carl
By kevinqwe
steve
try cutting it lower than the ones before.
By Steve_M
will do. ( i didnt cut the previous ones they were cut when i got the plant ;ppP)

also, i cant plant it in the pot of the parent plant, theres hardly enough space for the parent plant itself roofl im gonna be changing the pot soon when it cant fit in it anymore.
i dont really care about knowing about the parent plant though either, i just want to have the traps and see them thrive, no matter what the parent is ;PPPP

since ill have to get a new pot and soil to plant the stalk then for the new plant, what size should i get? or should i just wait until i change the pot of the parent and plant this in the pot the parent was in before?

Thank you Aquis31 and Chef

That sounds amazing thank you! I don’t get m[…]

I was checking my plants before leaving for work[…]

Please and thank you! Appreciate it! :mrgreen:

Thank you! Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk […]

Darkened leaves

It is a combination of too much water, and also […]

andynorth's Grow/want list

It's been a bit since I have added anything new to[…]

Spagnum moss turning green

Looks like algae, and that is normal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!