FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By smolrat61
I found these things on some plants I got, wondering if they are pests; I thought they might look like scale? The photos are around ~100x with a mini microscope.

(someone please tell me no...)
Attachments:
IMG_3971.jpg
IMG_3971.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 595 times
IMG_3972.jpg
IMG_3972.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 595 times
By smolrat61
So apparently that second image is scale (I love christmas scale...was hoping to not have to deal with pests on carnivorous plants yet). Still not sure what the first image is though.

I currently have bonide systemic granules at home, I read that I can use them on CPs in a couple of posts but I'm not 100% sure, any thoughts? I heard orthene is a good systematic otherwise, and I can pick some up at lowes. I only saw two scale bugs so far, so maybe it's a little drastic but I'm afraid that I didn't see others and they reproduce lol. (I also know bayers 3-in-1 is good, but it is banned in MA so I can't pick up any.)
By MikeB
Carnivorous Plant Resource lists Bonide Systemic Insect Control as safe. I haven't used it myself, but I'm going to order some to swat the mealybugs.
By Gary
I've never had to deal with scale ( thrips and spider mites are big in AZ). That second pic almost looks like it could be the underside of the critter, but again, I fortunately have no experience with them.
By evenwind
Had this on my outdoor bushes last Spring and needed a systemic to get rid of them. I was told that the two shapes are male and and female scale but they could easily be 2 stages in the pest's lifecycle. Anyhow, I'd guess that your pics are two views of the same pest.
scaleJPG.jpg
scaleJPG.jpg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 507 times
StephenB200+ liked this
By StephenB200+
MikeB wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:27 pm Carnivorous Plant Resource lists Bonide Systemic Insect Control as safe. I haven't used it myself, but I'm going to order some to swat the mealybugs.
I’ve used it on my Neps, VFTs and the indoor version on my capes. It helps. I am keen on finding out if you can use it on seedlings.
MikeB liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!