FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By andynorth
I am in contact by phone with the manufacturers of Perfect Plants soil. I let them know I would put together a list of complaints and call them back again once I get enough information gathered to garner a legitimate complaint to their Corporate big wigs. So, please reply with any and all issues you have had with this product. If there are more than one type of soil you have a complaint about please provide a link. It might not do any good but it will let them know they are selling a bad product with bad information.
By Intheswamp
I hope they respond positively, but they may just say that they've got a 4.6 feedback rating from over 3,000 reviews, humor you with some "promises to look into it", and go about their bean-counting. :|

I looked on their website and the only contact info I saw was a phone number, a contact form, and an email address...no physical address other than a mention of North Florida. Maybe I missed the address, but I looked pretty good. Whois shows their registrant as Domainsbyproxy, which is no help. Their phone number, though, points towards Monticello, FL and Lloyd, FL (a mailing address and a physical location). The reason I mention this is that, to me (and remember, I'm "OCD-Me" ;) ), it seems odd for a company wanting people's business not to give their address. Sure, it could be because of "security" reasons (maybe), but they have trucks going and coming, receiving and delivering products. I dunno..."OCD-Me" is just suspicious of companies that apparently don't want you to know their physical location. It looks like a homegrown company, dealing in plants and planting accessories/fertilizers/"soils". Of course, this isn't the first time I've seen a company that tries to keep its address hidden for some reason...especially when just a little Googling will reveal that information. :roll: Maybe it's a sign of today's paranoid world we're living in. :|
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:29 pm I hope they respond positively, but they may just say that they've got a 4.6 feedback rating from over 3,000 reviews, humor you with some "promises to look into it", and go about their bean-counting. :|

I looked on their website and the only contact info I saw was a phone number, a contact form, and an email address...no physical address other than a mention of North Florida. Maybe I missed the address, but I looked pretty good.
Yes, You are probably correct but I have plenty of time!!!
I had to file a complaint through Amazon. Once I did that they put me in contact with their CS Dept. I spoke to them and I am supposed to get back with specific complaints. I had mentioned that there were several from a "bunch of forum users".
By Intheswamp
Looking at their website it seems that they're a mom and pop operation and that they dropship a good bit of their products. What products they dropship I do not know, but apparently enough to make a thorough statement about it. The photos of the operation look impressive, nothing Conagra/Monsant/Bayer size or anything, though. Hopefully they will respond and correct the issues. I doubt there'll be a lot of folks from the forum flocking to their product, though it might help some newcomers who haven't researched things if they buy it.<thumbsup!> Even if the problem is corrected something tells me that whatever is in the distribution channels will stay in the distribution channels until it's sold.<sigh>
By wcrosman
Think you know mine. I complained previously and only got a bs response from them.
andynorth liked this
By andynorth
Well, It might be like beating a dead horse but, like I said, I do not have much else to do right now. One complaint might be nothing but several might make them open their eyes and at least attempt to rectify the problem. Mom and pop shops have a LOT to lose these days.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
Well, if it's a dead horse you ain't gonna hurt it so no harm done. Maybe you'll get a positive response, I hope you do.

When I first started tinkering with carnivorous plants a bought a couple of small bags (about the same size as the Perfect Plant bags) of Sta-Green Organic perlite at Lowes. For some reason I always felt kinda odd using it an it wasn't long before I got some Vigoro and never looked back. Well, something compelled me to go look at the bags of Sta-Green and it was interesting as to what I found, it has nothing to do with Perfect Plants, but kinda odd. The bags state that Sta-Green perlite was/is manufactured guaranteed by IMC Outdoor Living (a recycled rubber product company) which is a division of Liberty Tire Recycling (a very large tire recycler). Huh? Say what? Neither company's website mentions "Sta-Green". Further searching for information on the Sta-Green product line pulls up nothing other than Sta-Green products for sale at different places and the Sta-Green lawncare company. It's kind of like it doesn't exist, but it's on shelves. Weird. I think I'll go outside and open a bag tonight to see if it glows in the dark.
By MikeB
Here's a legit complaint: Not testing their carnivorous plant soil to ensure that it meets specifications (i.e, buy a TDS meter and do a quality-control check of your product). The stuff that they're selling has a high mineral content, exactly the opposite of what these plants require. It's likely that they have a contaminated batch of peat moss (Matt and Leah ran into this same problem a while back).

While you're at it: Tell them to either learn how to correctly pot a Venus flytrap or stop posting bs videos on YouTube. If you pot your flytrap like this video shows, you'll kill it. And if someone critiques your video, have the integrity to address the issues that were raised instead of hiding the post.
Intheswamp liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!