FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Jedikinigit
I am trying to understand optimal water depth and fluctuation especially for Sarracenia, Pinguicula, and Drosera.

I have heard that S. minor likes it drier, S. rosea likes it wetter, but I didn't know what that means. I saw S. flava growing in Apalachicola National Forest last week drier than I would have expected (although I didn't dig a hole to check).

I'd like to compile a list of depth ranges for each species or hybrid that seems to work well. I'm interested in depth from the top of substrate to the water. Also how dry do you let it get before watering? Thanks.
By ChefDean
Too many factors to give you definitive numbers, no smoking gun.
Age of plant, makeup of media, species, temperate, water table, region, specific local conditions, rainfall, elevation, how windy it is, .... we could go on and on, all factor into their own optimal conditions.
Dryer means don't let it sit in as much water. Wetter means OK to sit in water 24/7. Temperate Pings like it wetter, Mexi-Pings evolved to survive a hot, dry summer. Sundews, meh, keep them wet. Unless they're tuberous, then they need a dry spell.
General rule of thumb? Don't let the media of any of them dry out, unless they have evolved to need a dry period, then let them dry out.
See how easy it all is?
You think that's complicated? Have kids and you'll see how easy these finicky plants actually are.
Jedikinigit, Gary liked this
By Jedikinigit
I've got three kids who think I'm crazy because of these plants so I understand. How about the Sarrs, do you leave the water constantly 1-4" below the substrate?
By optique
the lower the water level the better. outside in my big pools i have drain holes at 3inches of water but its large 3gal pots. I try to let the level run low unless i am going out of town. My 5in pots i sale sarr's in i run a inch or under.

MikeB, Jedikinigit liked this
By Jedikinigit
So that is about 4-6" below the substrate level? That's helpful. All of mine are too deep I think. 1-3" is about where I am at.

Do you vary by species? Psittacina or rosea deeper?
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!