FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By hollyhock
When I want to make sure I have back up for plants this is my process.
1. Pull leaves from the parent plant making sure I get the entire leaf
2. I place each individual leave into its own clean test tube filled with distilled or reverse osmosis water
3. I wait :lol:
4. Then when the leaves show that they are sprouts I transfer them to fresh LFSM
5. I bag the entire pot and place it into direct lighting. In the bag I put a little water in the bottom and seal it up
6. Again I wait. :lol:
Pictures below show this definitely is a successful method of propagation. To insure you have backups and just more plants to enjoy, sell, or giveaway in crazy hollyhock ways :D

Photos are of leaves pulled from the drosera Ivan's paddle plants I received from Mike B. I love ❤️ Ivan's paddle and want to make as many clones as possible
Attachments:
20240221_113527.jpg
20240221_113527.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 436 times
20240221_113548.jpg
20240221_113548.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 436 times
20240221_113448.jpg
20240221_113448.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 436 times
20240221_113508.jpg
20240221_113508.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 436 times
Panman, Shadowtski, Anzenix and 3 others liked this
By Intheswamp
hollyhock wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:23 pm When I want to make sure I have back up for plants this is my process.
1. Pull leaves from the parent plant making sure I get the entire leaf
2. I place each individual leave into its own clean test tube filled with distilled or reverse osmosis water
3. I wait :lol:
4. Then when the leaves show that they are sprouts I transfer them to fresh LFSM
5. I bag the entire pot and place it into direct lighting. In the bag I put a little water in the bottom and seal it up
6. Again I wait. :lol:
Pictures below show this definitely is a successful method of propagation. To insure you have backups and just more plants to enjoy, sell, or giveaway in crazy hollyhock ways :D

Photos are of leaves pulled from the drosera Ivan's paddle plants I received from Mike B. I love ❤️ Ivan's paddle and want to make as many clones as possible
I'm sold on leaf propagation, much quicker than seeds, and the plantlets grow faster, IMHO. Of course, I'm a rank newbie. :)

You might want to clarify #5 as being under artificial lights, I mean, there's folks like *me* out here.... :o :mrgreen:

So far my water propagation has been limited to small-scale filiformis production which I had no issues with. For me, it's a toss up between water and live sphagnum moss. I hope to branch out (should that be "leaf out"? 8-) ) to capes and whatnots this spring. When doing broadleaf sundews I've read to do as you mentioned...include as much of the petiole as possible, any other tips on propagating broadleafs? I know it's a simple process, but anything helps brain-drained folks like me! :D
By thepitchergrower
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 pm When doing broadleaf sundews I've read to do as you mentioned...include as much of the petiole as possible, any other tips on propagating broadleafs? I know it's a simple process, but anything helps brain-drained folks like me! :D
For propagating capes I would recommend root cuttings as well as leaf cuttings. With root cuttings, I find that the buds that form are much larger, and the plantlets grow much quicker than leaf cuttings. Also, they form established root systems much quicker.

I am not sure what cape forms you grow, but some of the vigorous forms will put out root divisions if the roots are exposed to light. When grown in transparent cups/pots, the tips of the roots that are exposed to light will start to grow into new plants.

Leaf cuttings from capes are ridiculously easy, you can put the whole leaf in water, or cut it up into pieces. Or you can put the leaves directly into growing medium. Even small pieces of the petioles will sprout and grow.
Attachments:
Buds forming from root cuttings
Buds forming from root cuttings
PXL_20220108_184319293.PORTRAIT.jpg (178.47 KiB) Viewed 363 times
A root cutting
A root cutting
PXL_20211215_194407981.MP.jpg (438.18 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Piece of capensis petiole.
Piece of capensis petiole.
PXL_20220209_224630796.PORTRAIT.jpg (110.17 KiB) Viewed 363 times
By Intheswamp
I tried a couple of cape leaves this past winter but "something" didn't work out. Maybe the temps were too cool, I dunno. But, I'm gonna try again soon. It seems we talked about clear pots a while back, both pros and cons of them. I have a division of a red that I got off a larger plant that I might move to a clear container to see if I can get some root sprouts. Thanks for the tip! :D

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!