FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
In the US we now enter that season where good food abounds and we gorge ourselves on annual delicacies, vowing to do better after the new year. In keeping with that idea, this month’s contest is for those plants that are guilty of overeating. A sundew covered in gnats, a flytrap that grabbed something too big for its trap, or even just an entirely oversized trap, you get the idea.

Here are the rules:
  1. You can submit 1 photograph for this contest.
  2. It must be your own picture.
  3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible.
  4. Minimally edited photos only. No effects, or filters. Cropping is okay.
  5. The winner will be the entry with the highest number of thumbs up (likes) votes.
  6. Only votes from members with at least 5 posts will count.
  7. Members who have won within the past three months are not eligible for prizes but you can still enter.
  8. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prizes for international winners.
What would be a more appropriate prize for a voracious plant than a Big Mouth flytrap?

From the Flytrap Store website:
The Big Mouth Venus Flytrap is prized for its large traps, deep color and neat growth habit. Unlike most Venus Flytraps that grow taller and thinner during the summer and can look a little "leggy" and unkempt, Big Mouth's leaves grow prostrate in a neat rosette close to the ground year round. Although Big Mouth, like most Venus Flytraps, can be capricious about when it displays its best color, when the traps do color up they become a very deep, almost purple red. That color combined with the oversized traps definitely sets Big Mouth apart from other Venus Flytrap clones.
As always, thank you to Matt and Leah from The Flytrap Store for providing our contest prizes.

There you have it, so let's see those pictures of your feeding frenzy!
By Panman
Every summer the flytraps gorge themselves on daddy longlegs. This one was still twitching.
Attachments:
20211020_133341.jpg
20211020_133341.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2266 times
elaineo, Intheswamp, oval and 2 others liked this
By Panman
oval wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:28 pm Does this picture from my post three years ago count?
That's fine because it wasn't used in a previous photo contest.
oval liked this
By andynorth
Well, I will be voting but as far as entering, I am not sure I have anything that will come close to a VFT chomping on a lizard. That is one strong plant. That has to be one of the best examples of a CP I have ever seen.
Panman liked this
By Panman
I so wish I had gotten a picture of the flytrap that ate a toad. The toad's back legs were sticking out of the trap like the Wicked Witch of the East under the house.
By Panman
One week into our contest, and oval has a fast start out of the gate. Here are the standings:
oval 5
optique 3
Panman 3
thepitchergrower 2
Camden 1
elaineo 1
hollyhock 1
sanz 1
Stratofortress 1

There is still plenty of time for you to submit your entries and vote for your favorites.

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!