FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Bud
Ya I got one of those from Lowes not long ago.
A fairly healthy one, as I think I got it when they first came in.

After adjusting slowly, gradually taking the top off, and then taking the "cover" that covers the soil
(you will need to cut that off with a scissers & you will have to be careful sliding the plant out of it's deathbox), I misted as Steve advised. After about a week or so of this "acclimation" I repotted.

Now heres why you do want to repot it soon. The plant medium appears to be straight solid peat about 2/3 rds up the pot then it is topped by LFSM. The solid peat on the bottom was wet but it was also compact and dense because nothing was added for aeration. It holds waters but I don't think its good for the plant because of no drainage and the roots will have a hard time penetrating the solid peat (I mean mine was compressed like a brick!) .

Good luck.

Bud
By KruperTrooper
I have taken the plant completely out of its cube, and ill plan on re-potting it once it warms up and the temperature doesn't drop as much during the night. About 2 weeks I would think. Where can I buy the growing medium for the VFT, does Lowes or HomeDepot sell it?
By Aging_Bourbon
KruperTrooper wrote:I have taken the plant completely out of its cube, and ill plan on re-potting it once it warms up and the temperature doesn't drop as much during the night. About 2 weeks I would think. Where can I buy the growing medium for the VFT, does Lowes or HomeDepot sell it?
well it's best to repot it now.. use a good pot with drainage holes and the medium should be 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite that's the standard (or 50% peat and 50% perlite) make sure they don't have fertilizer cause we all know that FERTILIZER AND POTTING SOIL CAN KILL YOUR PLANT! :o :arrow: :? :arrow: :cry:
By KruperTrooper
Okay then ill go out and buy some potting medium and replant it this weekend. Do you have and experience with the other CP plants that Lowes' sells, I know I saw a pitcher plant there.
By Matt
KruperTrooper wrote:Do you have and experience with the other CP plants that Lowes' sells, I know I saw a pitcher plant there.
Probably all of the plants they sell there are temperate CPs or Drosera capensis. Either way, they have the same basic care requirements as Dionaea.
By liljakers
i am glad to find someone else who bought one from lowes.maybe we can help each other learn how to grow our vft.I was also wondering about the container it came in.I live in Ky and it is still cold here.So I have mine sitting in front of my window.
Darkened leaves

How deep is the pot and how much water are you kee[…]

So you can link those two like the timer that […]

SASE put in mail!

Seeds is a gray area. This statement was cop[…]

I'm assuming you mean bonus Nepenthes? Order rece[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1660. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1659. I'll PM[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1658. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!