FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By EverDave
Hello all. I have purchased this Purple Pitcher Plant today at Lowes
and it is in a little rough shape I think. I did re-pot it tonight into
a 6" Pot with the proper soil. I have watered it and hope it comes back.

Thoughts?
By Veronis
The species is purpurea ssp. venosa. It's in bad shape (mine was about as bad when I got it), but with proper care and patience it should be fine. :)

- Lots of light (direct sunlight: 6+ hours is best, or as much as you can give......or strong fluorescents for 14-16 hours a day)
- Keep the soil moist at all times and in a tray of water about an inch deep. A dry sarracenia is a dead one. If the plant is in warm conditions (e.g. outside) it can be kept wetter than if it's kept indoors. If kept indoors don't leave it sitting in a tray full of water all the time; only when you water it, then let it evaporate. If outdoors with ~6+ hours of sun per day, its pot can sit in an inch or so of water 24/7.
- The leaves on it right now will probably burn and dry up a bit - resist the urge to trim them off. It will look sad for about a month, give or take, and then start to kick in some good new growth.

A few resources to help ensure you've got all your bases covered:
Care sheet 1: http://www.flytrapcare.com/store/sarracenia-care-sheet
Care sheet 2: http://cobraplant.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=10
Recent Lowe's purple pitcher discussion: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/sarra ... t5220.html

Good luck!
By EverDave
I really would love to place this outside in a nice pot but am afraid of the Chipmunk that keeps eating my sunflower seedlings. Thoughts?

I have it on a window shelf now to get more sunlight. Does this look ok?
By EverDave
I am also mist spraying it a bit. Is that ok? I am doing this to all of them.
By Veronis
I have mine outside - the chipmunks are always eating apart my mammoth sunflower leaves too, but they never mess with my carnivorous plants.
By EverDave
Really? Well that is interesting. I live in Indiana, USA. It has been 85 degrees as of late. Is this ok?
Should I bring them in at night?

Soil Question...I did mine 1 part Peat and 2 parts Perlite. Is this acceptable?
I could have swore I read that somewhere.
By Matt
EverDave wrote:Really? Well that is interesting. I live in Indiana, USA. It has been 85 degrees as of late. Is this ok?
Should I bring them in at night?
That's not necessary. I have all of my Sarracenia outside now. Today the high was 62°F (really unusually cold for this time of year) and the low is in the upper 30s tonight!
EverDave wrote:Soil Question...I did mine 1 part Peat and 2 parts Perlite. Is this acceptable?
That's certainly fine. Most people use 1 part peat 1 part perlite, but the extra drainage won't hurt anything as long as you keep the soil damp.
By EverDave
Thank you for the prompt reply. I am a perfectionist and I want these guys to live. :)
By EverDave
I am leaving both Pitcher plants outside tonight. See how they do. Hopefully it helps them.
Oddly shaped Sarr

Thanks, I gave them another treatment this morning[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I do sell on Etsy, and anything I sell is authenti[…]

hi: im feedmesemore

Welcome to the forum!

How cold is too cold

Thanks! They will stay outside from now on.

Hello from New England

Welcome to the forum!

Nepenthes cold shock?

Thanks, y’all!

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!