FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By RLK
Alrighty... I have recently been inspired to expand my CP collection from a sad measly typical green trap and a unidentified sundew (both of which I will nurture and love until their or my untimely demise) to a second VFT and a Nepenthe x Judith Finn from the guys over at flytrapstore.com.

That having been said, I am researching alot right now on the various CP's. in the past I have done well growing orchids so I thought I would give a Nepenthe a try.

I have decided to go with a 12" diameter x 5.75" depth hanging basket with a typical coir fiber liner. Growing medium: 50% Long Strand Sphagnum, 30% Perlite, and 20% Ground coir fiber.

Does all this sound reasonable?

If so then I am off to a good start. Next question: where the heck do I keep this lil' guy once I get him (hopefully tommorow). Outside on the front porch? (faces north, lots of morning and late afternoon sun) Nashville has had a relative humidity ranging from 40%-60% and temperature of mid 70's(evening) to high 90's (afternoon). Inside near a sunny window? Also when I get my Nep should I fill his pitchers? If so, how much? Is it possible to over feed the lil' guy? I have a over abundance of squash beetles in my garden that i would love to send to meet their maker.

Any additional input or advice is appreciated!

~RLK
By Idontkno23
Your growing mix sounds fine, 'Judith Finn' are very reasonable plants.

I don't necessarily "adore" the hybrid, my plant has somewhat unattractive leaves and pitchers rarely. Don't expect pitchers on your plant. When I got my first nepenthes (the same as yours), it took a whole 5 months for it to grow its first pitcher. It has only grown 1 more since then, but it was about 2 times the size (only 3/4ths of an inch or so.) And yes, it is very possible to overfeed them. The pitchers will die quickly depending on how much you feed them.

Overall, 'Judith Finn' is a great starter Nepenthes. It is relatively cheap, forgiving, and can appease a first time grower with a few pitchers. It isn't really a fast or slow grower, it grows at its own pace. Give it time and it will end up as a GREAT plant. The veitchii really shows when your plant starts producing mature lower pitchers.

Hope I helped.(informed)
Chris
By Matt
I agree with nearly everything Chris wrote except the following:
Idontkno23 wrote:I don't necessarily "adore" the hybrid, my plant has somewhat unattractive leaves and pitchers rarely. Don't expect pitchers on your plant. When I got my first nepenthes (the same as yours), it took a whole 5 months for it to grow its first pitcher. It has only grown 1 more since then, but it was about 2 times the size (only 3/4ths of an inch or so.)
All of my 70 or so Judith Finns produce pitcher regularly and produce fairly large pitchers for the size of the plant (3 to 4 inch pitchers on a plant that's only 5 or 6 inches in diameter). They seem to only keep a couple at a time (older pitchers die as the new one is forming), but they've been steadily pitchering since I received them. They are grown indoors under fluorescent lighting (6500K color temperature 32 watt T8 bulbs) on a 16 hour photo period. They seem very happy with that growing setup.
By RLK
Matt wrote: They are grown indoors under fluorescent lighting (6500K color temperature 32 watt T8 bulbs) on a 16 hour photo period.
So how does this equate to typical sunlight? (and by typical i mean southeast US hot muggy blazing summers)
better? worse? (I realize its more consistent and controlled)

You have a optimum setup that you control, i understand that adapting tropical plants to its non-native environment would potentially alter its normal growth. of that im not concerned, but i would like to do the best for it that i can, i just dont have the capability to start a greenhouse just yet. i want to know that im fully invested in this hobby before taking the big steps
By Matt
RLK wrote:So how does this equate to typical sunlight? (and by typical i mean southeast US hot muggy blazing summers)
better? worse? (I realize its more consistent and controlled)
Better or worse by what standards? I think that the Judith Finns I'm growing look amazing and they seem to be very healthy, so by those standards, I guess I'd say that fluorescent lighting is better. All of the Nepenthes I've grown under lights seem to do much better there than in a windowsill or a greenhouse. Of course, growing in a controlled environment with little to no UV light doesn't make them very robust when compared to plants growing in sunlight.
By alabama
Matt wrote:I agree with nearly everything Chris wrote except the following:
Idontkno23 wrote:I don't necessarily "adore" the hybrid, my plant has somewhat unattractive leaves and pitchers rarely. Don't expect pitchers on your plant. When I got my first nepenthes (the same as yours), it took a whole 5 months for it to grow its first pitcher. It has only grown 1 more since then, but it was about 2 times the size (only 3/4ths of an inch or so.)
All of my 70 or so Judith Finns produce pitcher regularly and produce fairly large pitchers for the size of the plant (3 to 4 inch pitchers on a plant that's only 5 or 6 inches in diameter). They seem to only keep a couple at a time (older pitchers die as the new one is forming), but they've been steadily pitchering since I received them. They are grown indoors under fluorescent lighting (6500K color temperature 32 watt T8 bulbs) on a 16 hour photo period. They seem very happy with that growing setup.
wow my setup is close to yours and my judith finn is absolutely loving it
i got one from matt here like 1-2 months ago a judith finn nepenthe the 2 pitchers that was on it has died, but as we speak a new pitcher opened today and has already started growing 2 more and that was my first nepenthe so id say its very much the beginner plant and i hope you have lots of success growing it
By corky
just a thought,i think most people choose long tom pots which are deeper than there diameter ,is this correct any one,i thought it might be better for the plants roots
By RLK
when asking better or worse, i was just curious how the artificial light you provide stacks up against full sunlight. Some things do better in a controled enviroment where all the growth factors can be maximized (think hydroponics).

i am just asking questions and getting info.
corky wrote:just a thought,i think most people choose long tom pots which are deeper than there diameter ,is this correct any one,i thought it might be better for the plants roots
i was under the impression that neps had a shallow root system, unlike VFT's they don't require or necessarily thrive in a deep pot. thats just what my research has yielded, i could be woefully mistaken.

Also: my neps and traps and moss did not arrive today. :(
~RLK
By alabama
corky wrote:just a thought,i think most people choose long tom pots which are deeper than there diameter ,is this correct any one,i thought it might be better for the plants roots
this could be a possible factor, give them room and the roots can grow as they please to grow
i
By Idontkno23
Matt wrote:I agree with nearly everything Chris wrote except the following:
If I would have known more about where to buy Nepenthes before, I would have much rather bought them from you.

When I got mine, it was very sickly looking and was covered in mildew. I had gotten it from Cook's. I have heard mixed replies from customers of them, so I'm not sure whether to say I just got unlucky or not.

I think the main problem for mine was its health and size. It is starting to fill a few pitchers and the leaves are getting bigger every time. I can't afford any fluorescent lighting system at the moment, so it's not really an option. Just trying to estimate a good amount of light for each of my plants from my window. :\

Anyways, good luck with your new nepenthes OP.
By Matt
Idontkno23 wrote:When I got mine, it was very sickly looking and was covered in mildew. I had gotten it from Cook's. I have heard mixed replies from customers of them, so I'm not sure whether to say I just got unlucky or not.
I have ordered a few plants from Cook's and I've not been terribly happy with the quality of the plants. Some of the plants have been pretty nice, but not the majority. You're definitely not alone in getting a sub-par plant from them.
By Idontkno23
Matt wrote:
Idontkno23 wrote:When I got mine, it was very sickly looking and was covered in mildew. I had gotten it from Cook's. I have heard mixed replies from customers of them, so I'm not sure whether to say I just got unlucky or not.
I have ordered a few plants from Cook's and I've not been terribly happy with the quality of the plants. Some of the plants have been pretty nice, but not the majority. You're definitely not alone in getting a sub-par plant from them.
Yeah, they should really read their customer reviews and tell the customer what they are buying. I had ordered a 'Judith Finn' in a 4 inch pot, expecting to fill a 4 inch pot, it would easily have fitten in a 3 inch. I think I have finally revived it from its gloomy state, the vine is consistently a deep red color (which I admire), and the leaves get a nice bronze hint on the leaves until about a month after opening.

It's still making very immature pitchers, but it is getting better. I think I am going to have to replace its pot, it has very thin edges which is basically burning through the leaves.

Anyways, sorry to bore anyone who read the whole description of my plant.

Chris

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!