FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Trapper Kay
Got some new LEDs from a friend. Not sure what the specs are but they are super bright and I have them 2” from my seedlings. Does anyone else have lights like these that know how efficient they are for the plants?

Any comments/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

I just wanted to take my seedlings out of a 10 gallon terrarium so they could get better airflow. I do have some ziplocks to keep in some moisture for now until they get bigger and I can acclimate them to less humidity.
Attachments:
612CA98E-A6C5-424A-92E0-FBD16EF8FA6A.jpeg
612CA98E-A6C5-424A-92E0-FBD16EF8FA6A.jpeg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 5889 times
DB35AE90-E27F-40FA-B5AF-1E1533629966.jpeg
DB35AE90-E27F-40FA-B5AF-1E1533629966.jpeg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5889 times
Trapper Kay liked this
By Trapper Kay
roarke wrote:What type of leds ?
Not sure the brand name. My friend got them from amazon.
I do know that they are full spectrum and 45watt each, but of course less watt output and that’s with all leds.
By promethean_spark
Looks like plenty of light to me. LED's are more directional than CFL or HID lights, so you don't have to have them quite so close. Mine are about a foot up.
promethean_spark liked this
By Doublebass1985
Honestly you could Probly just run one of those lights since you only have 3 plants under them that way you can save a minor amount of electricity, but also increasing the longevity of the other panel you won't be using. There should be a stamp or some kind of tag listing the model/serial # and etc. info. I'm guessing they are both 300 watt equivalent panels which is a good amount of light. You could easily have 10 times the amount of plants under those panels.
By Trapper Kay
Doublebass1985 wrote:Honestly you could Probly just run one of those lights since you only have 3 plants under them that way you can save a minor amount of electricity, but also increasing the longevity of the other panel you won't be using. There should be a stamp or some kind of tag listing the model/serial # and etc. info. I'm guessing they are both 300 watt equivalent panels which is a good amount of light. You could easily have 10 times the amount of plants under those panels.
Actually I have more plants but are not pictured here. As far as the set up I’ve already changed it out completely. :) thanks for the input tho
By Trapper Kay
Btw. These lights are no good, they get extremely hot (I could barely leave my hand on it for 4 seconds) so anyone looking to purchase lights. Don’t buy these. LEDs should not produce heat like these
By Nightbreed
I was looking though many led panels on Amazon and it seems any of the ones without a fan are passively cooled. Big aluminum plate on the back that acts as heat sink and get really hot. I was planning to have more open space above the ones I was going to get to try and help that. It seems they are designed with being hung in a huge open space so they don't care about dissipating the heat better.
By Trapper Kay
Nightbreed wrote:I was looking though many led panels on Amazon and it seems any of the ones without a fan are passively cooled. Big aluminum plate on the back that acts as heat sink and get really hot. I was planning to have more open space above the ones I was going to get to try and help that. It seems they are designed with being hung in a huge open space so they don't care about dissipating the heat better.
I agree, my friend used these panels for cannibis so they were hung in a large open room. They hang them up also because cannibis plants grow extremely fast and tall depending on light and the strain of clone
By Doublebass1985
Ya led technology is getting better every day and some units are designed better to dissipate heat. That's one of the downfalls of led's is that they can get very hot thus reducing the life of the light. However I still believe led lighting will take over in the next few years and you might not see incandescent or fluorescent bulbs anymore. I use Led's for my flytraps and it works great.
Doublebass1985 liked this
By Trapper Kay
Doublebass1985 wrote:Ya led technology is getting better every day and some units are designed better to dissipate heat. That's one of the downfalls of led's is that they can get very hot thus reducing the life of the light. However I still believe led lighting will take over in the next few years and you might not see incandescent or fluorescent bulbs anymore. I use Led's for my flytraps and it works great.
I agree. I now have a 2’ t8 led fixture that produces no heat and my plants love it
is this normal for a d capensis?

While what is said above is true, I have a mini bo[…]

My newest addition I just ordered from Matt. T[…]

What recommendations do you have for types of li[…]

Get a report from the water company to see if it h[…]

If you didn't get it sold to you as a B52 then it […]

So sorry for the delay, this completely slipped my[…]

Confirming they went in the mail yesterday. :D

Trying My Hand With TC

So any sggestions, guidance, etc,?

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!